Tuesday, August 26, 2014

We Interrupt This Vacation...

Well, something interrupted our vacation:  School!  We were minding our own business, traveling the country, riding roller coasters, visiting family, staying up late, sleeping in, playing video games, hangin' at the pool.  When BAM!  First day of school!

She was up and eating breakfast while the boys were still moaning in bed!

Ready for her first day

The obligatory "you have to smile for at least one picture" picture

Going into her class

This is what got me at Meet the Teacher night - seeing her at her desk!

While I was ready for everyone to get back on a schedule, I don't think any of us were super ready for school to start.  But yesterday it did, and the first day went great!  The range of emotions was wide.  Really wide.  Allie popped up like she'd been waiting for this day for months and flapped her arms in anticipation.  She put on her crazy cat shirt that she had picked out and ran down to eat breakfast.

Spence seemed pretty indifferent.  Not too much protesting, but no excitement.  Very middle of the road.

Coleman woke up chanting, "I hate school!" and had picked out an all black ensemble (down to the socks and underwear people) that I put away and replaced with a less mournful outfit.  The poor boy doesn't really hate school, he just cannot take change of any sort.  We tried to remind him that at the end of the school year, he didn't want summer to come.  But of course he thinks he really hates school, so he chanted his sad little mantra all morning!

We had to arrive earlier than normal because I had some PTO duties, and it was nice to be there in time to walk all three kids to their classes and get them settled!  Allie and I had picked out a book for her teacher and Allie made the cutest card. It's a good thing that girl was so excited, or I would have been a... oh what do they call it?  A hot mess!  I had a few teary moments the day before, so I put on my brave face and left my sweet baby that looks too tiny to be there in her class.

Spence went right into his room and got settled in.  No biggie.  Just another day I guess.

By this time Coleman had accepted his fate and walked into his room ready to go.  I suppose the chanting was only for our morning entertainment!  There was a moment of hesitation, like I was forgetting somebody, but I wasn't! 

I'm sure it will take a while to get used to this new chapter.  I actually hung out at the school most of the day yesterday.  There was a PTO breakfast that I stayed at until about 9:30.  I came home for a little while and then went back around noon to clean up from the breakfast.  I stuck my head in the volunteer room and ended up staying there chatting, helping some other PTO moms, and doing die cuts for the Kindergarten aide.  It was fun!

Today Allie didn't even want me to walk her into the school.  What?!?!  Spence, going into his third year at this school, wasn't sure he could find his room though.  But since Allie was so sure she wanted to go in by herself, I gave Spence some directions and let them out at the door and pulled away.

They are all getting into their routines.  I think no homework this first week helps ease the blow of going back to school.  So far I'm the only one who's had homework.  Paper work x 3 = too much! 

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh that first day......yes, mixed emotions. Glad you recorded it!