Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Pinterest Inspired Scarves

I've liked scarves for the past few years, but I'm always hesitant to buy them.  I'll think, "What would I wear that with?"  or "How would I tie that?"  or "It's too long." or "It's too short."  or "Hey wait, it rarely drops below 60 here.  Therefore I probably shouldn't spend $$$ on a lot of scarves."  All good points I suppose.

These days I get all my outfit inspiration from Pinterest.  And what does almost every fall outfit include?  A scarf!  Many of them are just way too big and fluffy for South Texas weather, but some are really cute.  I'm especially liking the infinity scarves at the moment.  I found several tutorials that show how to make your own infinity scarves from old t-shirts.  I immediately went to dig through my pile of clothes I'd set aside to donate.  The bigger the shirt, the better scarf it will make, so I found one that I was getting rid of because it was too big.  It made an OK scarf.  Then I decided I could probably find some not-so-great t-shirts that would make oh-so-amazing scarves at Good Will!  And I did!  I totally wasn't expecting Good Will shirts to be $5.99, so I was a little disappointed at that.  But I found what I was looking for and just had to limit myself to two shirts.  If I really wear these scarves I might have to start canvasing garage sales!  Cause you know I want to say, "Look at my scarf!  It cost me $.75!"

Here are my two Good Will finds.  I went in not looking for cute t-shirts, but interesting patterns that I thought would be unique but could be worn with several different outfits.  Both these shirts are size 1X, which worked great!

Brown paisley pattern

Pretty grey and off-white pattern

I laid out each shirt flat, then cut the hem off the bottom and straight across under the arms.  I can't even cut straight, but I managed to do it!

What you're left with after you've cut the scarf portion out

After you make the cuts, you're left with a big loop of material.  Stretch it, stretch it, and stretch it some more!  I actually wrapped one end around a door knob then pulled on the other end until I thought the material might rip.  In the pictures I just wrapped the stretched out material around my neck twice.

The brown paisley

The grey and white
I like that they aren't too bulky and hot.  Now I can't wait to find more cheap t-shirts!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great idea! I think I might have to copy you

Rita said...

Darling!!

Anonymous said...

WHat a good idea!! They look great-Mary