Saturday, May 07, 2011

Sweet and Sour

If I had to assign a dipping sauce to motherhood, I would choose Sweet and Sour. That seems to describe being a mommy pretty well. There are moments of sweetness where I can't imagine loving these little people anymore than I do. They do and say the most precious things. Then the moment turns sour. Quite sour at times and I'm ready to find a wall and bang my head against it repeatedly. I'm pretty sure I need the sour though to fully appreciate the sweet. And honestly, I never fully understood how God could love me, with all my flaws and failures, until I became a mom. It doesn't matter what my kids do or don't do, become or achieve, I love them. And oh do I get frustrated and flustered and flabbergasted at times, but I love them. It's like no other love in the world.

This week was a little crazy, and so I guess I was going a little crazy. I found things hilarious that normally I might have chuckled at but not given a second thought. One of these instances involved a granola bar and Allie's hiney. I had let the kids eat granola bars in the car, and the next day when Allie was getting out of the car I noticed this:

It was stuck pretty good and I eventually had to peel it off. After, of course, I found the camera and chased her around!

Here's a more flattering picture of the princess:

Her first pony tail!


The older classes at Mother's Day Out have a Mother's Day Tea. It was Tuesday and I had such a fun time! I got to do this twice with Coleman, and this year I got to do it with Spence.

I like to say he's carrying on the weird gene!

I'll try to get a picture of me with all three kids tomorrow on Mother's Day. I can share about my gifts today, but I haven't taken pictures yet. Brian took the boys to pick up my present this morning. It is a lovely chest for storage in the computer room. While they were gone I took Allie and Maestro on a walk. We followed the signs to a garage sale, where there was a double jogging stroller for sale. I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it for myself for Mother's Day! I'm not a jogger (I'd like to be but I'm not sure my foot can handle it) but my regular stroller doesn't handle well on the cracked sidewalks here. So this will make it so much easier to walk to Coleman's school and the park. I might have to put it in storage until next October when it's cool enough! Actually, we're still having some nice weather. I'll take advantage of it while it's here.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms! We have the hardest, but most rewarding job!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet!
You are the Best Mom in Houston!
Enjoy every moment on Mother's Day!
Love that little pony tale and Spence's happy smile!
T-4

Anonymous said...

Yes, motherhood is definately sweet and sour!!
Happy Mother's Day Amanda!!
Hope you have a blessed day with the family :)

Rita said...

I just sit here and smile so wide when I read you words and see the pictures....

Love Allie's pony tail!!! And Spence looks so happy....lovin' it....