Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How to Have a Successful Road Trip

I hate to brag, but our family recently returned from a road trip where we spent 8 days in the car together.  What am I bragging about?  That we ALL made it back!  No one got kicked out of the car!  I have to admit the thought of kicking someone (who shall remain nameless) out of the car did cross my mind.  But my reasonable self prevailed and our family in its entirety is now safely at home.  We brought back some great memories!  You may hear me joke about losing a bit of sanity being in the car that long with three kids, but it really was a fun time.  We saw some interesting sites, visited family and friends, and took lots of pictures.  So what makes for a successful road trip?  Keeping your expectations in check, realizing little bladders will need to be emptied at the most inconvenient time, knowing your junk food limit (Some hotels will charge you $25 to clean a puked on mattress. Yes, unfortunately this is experience speaking.), and getting home with everyone you left with!  Brian and I also discussed installing one of those glass partitions you see in limos before our next road trip.  That could really up the success level!

Early on the morning of July 7th we headed for Wichita, Kansas.  Our main stop that day was in Oklahoma City to see my friend Theresa and her family.  Even though we only got to visit for a few hours, I'm glad we got to see them!  We made such good time getting there that we may have to do that more often!  Once we arrived at the hotel in Wichita, it was no surprise the kids were ready to be out of the car and play.  There was a basketball court, putting green, and a pool.  This is also the hotel where we paid an extra fee to have the sofa bed cleaned after Coleman ate more than his fair share of pizza, cheese sticks, and Oreos!  Live and learn.

Allie joined the game even though she was already dressed for the pool



We knew Day 2 would be a long day driving through Nebraska, but luckily our stop this day was extra intriguing:  Carhenge!
It's like Stonehenge, but only with old spray painted cars!




 And I saw the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen in Nebraska.  The pictures don't even come close to showing how gorgeous it was, but I had to include them!



That was our first two days on the road.  I'll be back later to add some more of the trip!

1 comment:

Rita said...

Fun seeing your trip in pictures!,

And read your commentary !!