Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What's In South Dakota?

I'm guessing when travelers get anywhere near South Dakota they stop by Mount Rushmore.  We did!  And it was pretty awesome!  I wasn't sure if the kids would really care about it, but they had fun spotting the Presidents as we weaved through the Black Hills. There are some amazing bridges and tunnels on that road!
We stopped and got out of the car when we caught our first glimpse of Mount Rushmore (I may or may not have instructed everyone to point!)

 Mount Rushmore is super "touristy."  There was an observation area, then a trail that went around the base of the mountain and gave you views of each different Presidential head.  In the gift shop, which was enormous, one of the men who helped carve Mount Rushmore was signing autographs.  How crazy is that?



You could walk in between these rocks and get a great view of Washington



After leaving Mount Rushmore we drove through Deadwood.  I have to admit I'm not very informed about the old west and shootouts, but it was a neat town.  We took the kids into a bar to watch a reenactment  of Wild Bill being shot and killed.  The slot machines kind of distracted them though.  Hmm...  My kids in a bar, surrounded by slot machines, witnessing a murder.  Not really how I envisioned my family vacation.

Love this picture!
That was Day 3!  (No one was harmed in any of the reenactments.)  We arrived at the family ranch in Broadus late that night.  I'll share those pictures next!

No comments: