Friday, February 15, 2008

I Respect You, But I Don't Understand You

This is what I say to all you anti-pickle people. Tonight we had sloppy joes. They are becoming a family favorite in our house. There are some foods that just aren't worth eating in the absence of a pickle, and sloppy joes are one of them. Coleman saw the pickles on my plate and said he did not like pickles. As a self-professed picky eater myself, I have to respect this. But I just don't see how someone could not like the pickle! Before eating my burger at a restaurant, I carefully remove the top bun and strategically place the pickles so that every bite includes some. When eating the McDonald burger, I eat around the pickle, saving it for the last two bites.

This love of pickles was inherited from my father. He doesn't have to rearrange pickles on his burgers because he orders extra pickles. I once walked into a burger joint in our hometown and was welcomed with, "Hey, you're Pickle Man's daughter!" If the fact that he was affectionately known as Pickle Man doesn't convey his love of pickles, I don't know what does!

Brian is not a pickle man. This works to my advantage when we go to restaurants where the pickle spear is served on the side. Free extra pickle for me! And at home, the pickles are all mine. I do hold out hope that Spence will take after my dad and me and love pickles, but if not, life goes on.

And by the way, when I say pickle I am referring to the dill sort. I do not eat sweet or bread and butter. Leave a comment telling me if you are pro-pickle or anti-pickle. I would love to know!

12 comments:

Jeani said...

I love ALL pickles. They aren't good for me though. The sodium is out of this world. One dill pickle spear has about half of a days worth for me. OW!!!
I do the same with McDonals burgers though. The pickle is the best part.

Rita said...

I prefer the sweet ones...but will eat any....I agree..you should have a pickle and chips with a sloppy joe...and a bun, if you're able to!!!

Rita said...

But if I am having a hamburger...a really good one...since no bun is my rule...I do not want anything on it..no ketchup, pickles, etc...Just the plain taste of good beef...weird, uh??

Anonymous said...

I like pickles too-but I usually take the ones off the McDonalds ones-when I was little I liked the sweet ones-but now I like all. Sloppy Joes sound good! Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness what can I say?
Pickles..... hum....

Not in a boat not with a coat
Not here or there not anywhere!
Not in a burger nor with sugar!
Not in my house said the little mouse.
Enjoy your pickles every day!
But do not send any down this way!
T-4

Anonymous said...

I am pro pickle! Completely sold out!
So much so that in the last couple years I order my burgers with pickle only. I was beginning to get annoyed at how ketchup & mustard were drowning out pickle so I gave them up on my burger.
So now I can totally understand the love you have.
:)

Anonymous said...

Mark got a kick out of this post. He had a good laugh.

He also reminded me that Grandma Keough used to call me The Pickle Puss...I forgot that.

Amanda you so fit in our family!!!!!!
Or we so fit in yours!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am anti-and pro-...can that be? I do like the spear with a chicken salad sandwich or deli sandwich. I like the sweet pickle with tuna salad. I don't, however, like pickles on my burger (especially, my McDonald's burger...are those really pickles?) I've never tried them on a Sloppy Joe!
Happy Pickle Eating!
Candice

Anonymous said...

I love pickles! Haylea doesn't like pickles, so I take them off her hamburger at McDonald's just for me!
Jaime

Jennifer said...

I am definately a pickle eater and EmmyKate is also. She loves to eat them right from the jar!

Theresa said...

Definitely a pickle eater. Once I ate a concession size jar of pickles in 3 days (no lie). No help from anyone, just myself. Emily enjoys pickles also. Don't know about Callie.

thePiks said...

from brian:
today i got a deli sandwich from the local supermarket. they always include a 1/4 pickle in a small zip-lock bag. the bag leaked and there is pickle juice all over the bottom of the container including the bread. i'm not sure, but i think my sandwich (turkey/swiss on marble rye) is ruined.............