Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thoughts From This Southpaw

Ok, ok. I admit I was overtaken by a moment of silliness with the pickle post. I did, however, enjoy all your comments. You just feel closer to someone when you know where they stand on important issues like these. Thank you, thank you for letting me get to know you on a deeper level. But now, in all seriousness, I must let you know of a recent act of discrimination against me and my people. Kitchen gadgets are now discriminating against the lefties! I'm trying to replace all my old spatulas, big spoons, and spaghetti scoopers to go with my nice new kitchen. I've had the hardest time finding a new spaghetti scooper. Are people not cooking spaghetti at home anymore? Or are they in such demand that the stores can't keep them stocked? Today I was in a kitchen store, which did not have a traditional spaghetti scooper, but a new kind that looks more like a comb. (I'm sorry I don't have a picture. I did a search but nothing came up.) I thought it was pretty neat so I was going to purchase it, but then I realized that it would probably be difficult for me to use being left-handed. I asked the lady who worked there, and she said that I would have a hard time using the gadget properly. She sympathized with me, saying that she had a left-handed brother, so she's always looking for left-handed kitchen gadgets, and to ask next time I was in the store. How are people like me, and Jay Leno, and Carol Burnett, and George H.W. Bush, and Larry Bird, and Julia Roberts, and Sarah Jessica Parker, and Monica Seles (who's going to be on my favorite show DWTS!!!) supposed to dip spaghetti? Well, all those people probably have right-handed personal chefs, but it's a matter of principle. It's bad enough that we get ink all over our hands when we write and that in school we had to search for that one left-handed desk in a classroom full of right-handed desks. If you come across a lefty today, give him or her a big hug and say, "You're special." Apologize for the struggles that he or she faces on a daily basis. If you are left-handed, be proud! Here's a little joke for you.

Bobby was spending the weekend with his grandmother. She decided to take him to the park on Saturday morning. It had been snowing all night and everything was beautiful. His grandmother remarked, "Doesn't it look like an artist painted this scenery? Did you know God painted this just for you?"

Bobby said, "Yes, God did it and he did it left handed."
This confused his grandmother a bit, and she asked him,
"What makes you say God did this with his left hand?".

"Well," said Bobby, "we learned at Sunday School last week that Jesus sits on God's right hand!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

However, I did buy you left handed scissors either when were were engaged or just after we were married. You looked at me like I was a freak, used them on an occasion or two (just to make me feel good about the present I gave you) and never used them again. Your reason: they were too awkward and the RH scissors were easier to use.

You better check your voting record in regard to LH tools. How can we trust Amanda to use LH cooking utensils when she can't even cut straight with LH shears. America, we a positive change; Vote Right Handed.
(I'm Brian and I approved this message.)

thePiks said...

Ok, my own husband is making me look bad. Maybe the reason I didn't like the left-handed scissors is because I'm so used to using right-handed ones. Anyway, who buys his sweetheart a pair of scissors as a gift?

Rita said...

Oh yes,,you are special....in so many ways....I'm glad you informed everyone to be on the search for left handed kitchen gadgets...it really isn't fair is it...everything is right handed...

He probably gets his gift giving ability from me...ha "Thought" you might like it..hey, it's better than a hammer or someother power tool..or a blow up canoe like I got once...:-)

Anonymous said...

That is all so funny!
Tony asked me this weekend where is the Left handed glove. I said what? He said you know the one you put on your right hand.
I said why?
He said Grandma,"That is what I use."
"Oh" I said ..
I guess... well it is at your house. Hum he said how am I suppose to play ball?
He is like mom she is ambidexterous.
It is so funny he can throw like a pro with his LEFT hand...
with the RIGHT it is like fudge. LOL
He bats Left too...
writes right.....cuts left...
what kinda brain is that.. ????
Alive and Active...
I wonder what Coleman and Spence will be?
T-4

Anonymous said...

You just tell Brian that you were young then and didn't know any better-now you do! I've never looked for any left hand tools-but I will now. Mary

Anonymous said...

pa-dum-pum! that made me giggle...

JasonPeck said...

If only the rest of the world new how great it is to be left-handed!