Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Welcome To the Exciting World of Little League

We're into our second week of First Grade and loving it! Yesterday was Coleman's first day of Little League. He's loving it. Me? I'm not so sure. He has three practices this week! This is going to be quite time consuming! And when it's over 100 degrees, a little unbearable to be at the ball fields. But I'm so proud of Coleman. He walked on that field for the first time yesterday with a team full of 2nd and 3rd graders who have been playing together for several years. He didn't get upset or discouraged. He just did what the coach told him to and had fun! I'll never forget 2 years ago in soccer when it was the 3rd game before we saw any action out of him! He's growing up.

Coleman (3rd in line) waiting to practice running through first base

Since this is our first time in Little League, I was unsure of all the gear Coleman would need. But I wanted him to be prepared for the first practice. He had a glove, and I was planning on getting him baseball cleats. So I asked the coach what else he would need. The reply: a protective cup. I'm not sure why I was so embarrassed to have to buy this, but it was a little strange for me. Yesterday after school the kids and I headed to Academy to purchase cleats, shorts, and a cup. I figured I should prepare Coleman for having to wear this. Spence was very interested in all things cup-related. He wanted to know how you pee with it on, if you glue it on, and what happens if somebody drinks out of it! Then at the store once I finally figured out which cup Coleman needed (ladies, there are lots of options), Spence wanted to carry it around! I was glad because I surely didn't want to carry it around! Well, I did survive the experience, just barely.

And now we have one practice under our belts. I just have to figure out how to keep Spence and Allie entertained for 2 hours and we'll be all set! Can't wait for the first game!

Allie hugging Spence and telling him she was sorry after she punched him today!

4 comments:

Rita said...

Good job Coleman is going to the practice and having fun!!!

Will get that mitt in the mail soon!!!

Allie....Spence.....how sweet...they really do hit each other????

Brent said...

I'm glad he's enjoying it! Hopefully the weather will start to cool off a little.

I still remember my first practice at teeball growing up.

Anonymous said...

Memories...
Jim... 12 years of the crack of the bat...
Louie 12 years of the splash of the pool.
Great years !
Yours are just beginning.
I cherished those days.
Spence and Allie will enjoy them too.
Good luck Coleman!
T-4

sheree said...

Caleb stepped out of team sports just before the cup was necessary. Thanks for the light-hearted look at the experience. We'll be there soon, I'm sure. :)