Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sole Provider

This evening as I was preparing dinner, I could hear laughter from both Brian and Coleman. Coleman was learning a new game - hide and go seek. They were having the best time. I teared up a little. This doesn't sound like a scene you might see the day the sole provider for a family has found out he's lost his job. But it was at our house. Brian and everyone else in his department found out that August 28th will be their last day. When he called me this morning to let me know, I knew that wasn't something he would joke about, but I just couldn't bring myself to believe him right away. He was so calm, and I have been too. I'll admit, there have been moments today when I felt like I might puke, but I haven't. Brian may be considered the sole provider for our family, but we aren't fully dependent on him. Our true sole provider, Jesus Christ, will take care of us. He already is! We feel His peace at this very moment. Brian may find a job that's even better than his current job, or he may not. We may be set financially until another job comes along, or we may not. But one thing is sure, God is God, and He is in control.

Sunday, Brian filled in for our Sunday School teacher. 1 Corinthians 10:13 was the verse he had shared with a coworker earlier in the week at a funeral, so he decided to use that verse in our class. Now God is using it to minister to us.
No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

I also can't get Jeremiah 29:11 out of my mind.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
What an awesome God we serve that He cares enough to comfort us in our times of need. He is our sole provider.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will keep you in our prayers!

Storming heaven to remind God of his promises and faithfulness is a good thing.


We will also be praying for you to have the courage and strength to wait on God and accept his plan for your family.

When times like this came to us I always thought about Abraham
(Genesis 22) being tested by our Lord.
One thing that I have learned ...
is when you are walking thru life with God as your guide remember he knows WHEN you need what you need. SO don't expect it till you really need it and it will be there.
His Love for you is everlasting !
Rest in his arms !

On a lighter note I heard that Coleman and Spencer like tractors.
I was out shopping today and found some John Deer tractor plates and cups and I will put them in the mail this week for them.
T-44

Anonymous said...

Hello my dears...

Everyone elses words seem so eloquent, and mine so flat.. I think of the day they called and offered Brian a job...and how excied we all were and thanked God for it...so will be again...thank God for just loving us and being there and waiting till the plans he has for us are revealed to us...in the meantime, I am my sons prayer warrior...love you all.
Rita

Anonymous said...

Amanda
What beautiful post.
I think the way you wrote about Brian and Coleman playing and laughing is so symbolic of how God wants us (his Children) to feel. Coleman doesn't understand or know that things have changed. Yet he's safe with Daddy. Knowing all his needs are met right there.

Speaking from our own "experiences" in life, My heart is with you. And know that, He will walk you through this.

One of my favorite scriptures for life;
Isaiah 43:2&3a
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God the Holy one of Israel, your Savior.

I'll pray.