Friday, February 12, 2010

How Would We Know?

I've been promising an update on life with the Piks. I'll admit, at times I haven't wanted to say anything because it's easier to just pretend things are swell and we're "doing fine." Other times it's too depressing or too much of a chore to sit down and write out our circumstances. But I've realized something. I must take my eyes off our circumstances and place them on the God who I serve. The circumstances of my life may be good or bad - it doesn't matter. What matters is how I respond to those circumstances. I can wallow in them or choose to honor God in them. I didn't just come up with this epiphany on my own. God led me to the most wonderful Bible study that could not be more fitting for this phase of my life. It's called "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" (written by Lysa TerKeurst) and it has been amazing. The situations Lysa writes about in her book are completely different from my family's current situation, but the verses she references and the advice she gives could not be more relevant. And I know they are not ultimately from her, but from God Himself.

Before I go any further, I want to say that I know there are others in more dire situations than us. (Click here if you don't know about our current situation.) There are those who have been out of work for many more months or even years. There are those facing sickness or loss of loved ones. Our circumstances seem small compared to these. But God cares about each of us and our problems - big or small, significant or seemingly insignificant.

Last night Brian and I talked about our situation. We realize we could easily become bitter, frustrated, and depressed. But we don't want that. Satan wants that for us, but our God has a plan for us. A plan to prosper us. We know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. We know that God will bring us through any and all trials. And when He brings us out, we will have a testimony to share. A testimony of His love and faithfulness. Brian and I decided we will make choices to honor God in these circumstances. We may not see any good come our way today, tomorrow, or even months from now. We are not promised a trouble-free life. But God promises to always be with us. Here is a verse He has showed me over and over in the last few months. I think He's hitting me over the head with it, and I like it!

If the Lord delights in a man's way,
He makes his steps firm:
though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with His hand.
...I have never seen the righteous
forsaken or their children begging bread.
Psalm 37:23-25

Brian and I are choosing to honor God. We're choosing to wait on Him and His timing. We want Him to delight in our way and then be upheld by His hand.

So my question today is, '"How would we know God's faithfulness if we never went through hard times?" The answer is that we could see it in others' situations, but we wouldn't know it personally. And while it's no fun to go through the storms of life, it is well worth it to experience God and His goodness. I've shared all this because we want to bring glory to God and share the hope we have in Him. I would love for you to leave a comment, whether to share a testimony of God's faithfulness in your life or just to say hi. So don't be shy! And maybe you are in a similar situation (or a completely different situation that is far worse than ours) that is calling for you to honor God in a hard time. We can pray for each other. Thank you for reading to the end. I hope this wasn't a rambling mess of words, but something that brought encouragement. Have a blessed day!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Just after reading your post a few minutes ago I went to Facebook. There on my front page was a quote that someone had written that I thought fit what you are going through perfectly:

We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.
- C.S. Lewis

You'll get through it. Just keep hanging on!

Rita said...

Yes...you are a blessing to me..you and Brian....I know God will be faithful....and He is pleased you choose to honor Him during this wait...Love all of you...

Stephanie said...

Amanda- I am so sorry to hear that Brian lost his job. I had no idea! I will be thinking about your family and pray that your husband finds a job soon!! *hugs* You have such a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Amanda and Brian,
Ephesians 2:19 "I ask God to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do. I pray that you will grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for Christians, oh, the utter extravagance of His work in us who trust Him--endless energy, boundless strength." I know God has you in His hand and your faith and strength are supernatural. Mom

Jeani said...

You will be stronger because of this major trial. It seems like they don't end and in the twinkling of an eye they are over. My life has had many trials before I was a Christian and even after. But, Our God Reigns!!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think you are the strongest person I know. You were raised by an equally strong woman.

I've been whining about no electricity even though I have a generator to run most things except the hot water heater or the stove/microwave.)

I love your family and am praying for you all. I bet God has something great in store for you!

lots of love,
Pam