Friday, February 24, 2012

Why Boys and Princess Books Don't Mix

Today Spence decided to join Allie for her nap time reading. She picked out her princess book, as she has done almost every day since she got it for Christmas. (I'm stopping right now and reminding myself that very soon this sweet time of snuggling and reading books will be over. Until then, I will try not to strangle any princesses.)
Throughout the book, Spence had me laughing so hard I had trouble reading! On the page about Ariel (The Little Mermaid, wearing the seashell "bra"), he said, "Look, she has shells covering up those things right there!" This led to a whole conversation about why girls have those things and what they're for. I reminded him that's how I fed Coleman, him, and Allie when they were babies. He said, "But Ariel doesn't have any water babies!" I think we just turned the page!
On Belle's page, he said, "I want to watch that movie 'cause I wanna see what the Beast looks like!" I'm pretty sure no girl ever watched Beauty and the Beast because she was curious as to what the Beast would look like.
And then he wondered why Snow White was named that because she didn't have any white on her dress. He could have cared less about Cinderella, but was quite intrigued by the wicked stepsisters. I guess they're the princess story bad guys!

Okay Okay. I'm going to take a break from writing about my uber-hilarious kids (why does spell check have a problem with that word?) and be a little more serious tomorrow. My Bible study challenge this week is to write a Life Purpose Statement. I'm going to share what I have so far tomorrow. Maybe some of you can even share if you have a life verse or some kind of purpose statement or something that inspires you to live a meaningful life. Until then!

1 comment:

Rita said...

Boys will be boys!!! Out of the womb they are....and little girls are little girls....ditto.....fun to have a different take on princess stories!!