Thursday, August 02, 2012

Why I Ate Chicken

Let's affirm a business that operates on Christian principles and whose executives are willing to take a stand for the Godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick Fil-A on Wednesday, August 1. - Mike Huckabee

So yesterday the kids and I headed to the mall for haircuts and Chick-Fil-A!  (If you don't know what CEO Dan Cathy said, here's a link to an article.) I agree with everything Cathy said.  And I don't see his comments as hateful or judgmental.  In no way would I say that Chick-Fil-A is anti-gay.  Maybe I don't have the same definition as others do, but to me anti-gay conveys hatred, mistreatment, and judgment of homosexuals.  There was none of that in his comments.  In fact, he is praying for God's mercy on our generation!  Isn't this what we are called to do:

...if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

"Wicked ways" is anything that goes against God's Word.  Not just changing the definition of marriage.  I'm sure Dan Cathy and Chick-Fil-A are not in favor of child molesters, rapists, cheaters, liars, or thieves.  I know I don't agree with their ways.  Do I hate them?  No, because the Bible calls me to love.  It is not my place to judge, but I am to stand up for the Truth.  I in no way claim to be perfect, but a sinner saved by God's grace. 

 I ate chicken yesterday to show my support for a company that is built on Biblical principles and was well within their First Amendment rights by making the statement on marriage.  If Cathy would have added,  "...and we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who disagrees with us" then I wouldn't be standing so boldly behind him. Unfortunately, some who claim to be Christian probably aren't helping here.  Everything we do must be done in a spirit of love.  Attacking someone's beliefs isn't going to win them over.  I pray that everything I do brings glory to Jesus Christ, my Savior.  But I mess up.  As I said previously, I am a sinner.  And sin is sin.  We tend to think of some sins as worse than others, and I think homosexuality is one that some Christians think of as super bad.   But Christ died to offer forgiveness to the mass murderer, the kid who steals from her mom's purse, the businessman who cheats his clients out of millions, the "good" person who occasionally tells a white lie, and well, everyone.  We all need Jesus.

It's actually kind of exciting that many who support same-sex marriage are so upset by Cathy's comments and people flocking to Chick-Fil-A yesterday.  That tells me that I am standing for the Truth! It was pretty easy to eat chicken yesterday, but my prayer is that in my daily life I will not be ashamed to go against the world's view and stand for what I know is right, even if that offends some.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Share this. It is beautiful, well written, and full of truth. Mom

Paul and Candice said...

Awesome! The best I've read yet about CFA! I'm sharing it for sure:)

Rita said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Get it girl! I agree wholeheartedly with your post! AND I appreciate your kindness. :)