Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thought for the Day

Why is the easy way out not always the easy way out? That's about as deep as I go today. Allie has been having some eating marathons at night. (She totally gets that from me!) From about 8:45 or 9 until 11ish. That leaves me little time to do all those leftover things that need to get done before I go to bed. Last night she woke at around 3 and then again at 6. (That wouldn't be so bad except she's spoiled me by sleeping so well usually.) I woke up tired to yesterday's leftover messes. I'm trying to remind myself that unfolded laundry piled on the table, dirty dishes in the sink, and backpacks thrown on the floor don't signal the end of the world. I'm trying to focus on letting God show me priorities. If I'm only given a certain amount of time to clean or tidy up I have to pick and choose what gets done.

Anyway, all this to say that I couldn't imagine coming home from Bible study today and getting out bread, turkey, peanut butter, chips, fruit, and yogurt. Then pouring drinks, cleaning up messes, and putting everything back where I found it. Wouldn't it be easier just to go to ChickFilA for lunch? Apparently not! We ordered our food, found our table, were brought the wrong food, took it back, got our almost correct order, exchanged one fruit for a fry, headed to the bathroom, waited on Coleman, sanitized our hands, returned to the table to eat our food, learned of a poopy pull up and 4 year old who now needed to poo poo, realized the pull ups were in the car, sent the 4 year old to the bathroom, ran out to the car with the other two to retrieve the forgotten pull up, hurried back to the bathroom, changed the poopy pull up, wiped the poopy bottom, resanitized our hands, headed to the play area, unbuckled the baby from the carseat, gave a 10 minute warning, pulled the crazy toddler* off Spence's neck, wondered why I was the only parent in there watching kids, gave the 5 minute warning, decided it was time to leave before I had to end up refereeing all these unsupervised kids, gave the 1 minute warning, buckled the baby back into the car seat, called the boys, put the shoes back on, thanked the boys for coming when I called them, explained that no, we wouldn't be getting ice cream because we had brownies at home, loaded up the car, did a final sanitation of the hands, and headed home.

So no, ChickFilA was not the easy way out that I was hoping it would be today. Gone are the days of order your food, eat it, and leave. That's just not my life right now. And I love every minute of my crazy, adventurous life!

Yesterday I visited with a friend who has 5 children. I loved witnessing her laid back personality and the way she guided her kids to Christ in her interactions with them. If you're reading this Rachel, you are an inspiration to me! You are such a wonderful Mom and I enjoyed our visit yesterday! Can't wait until next time!

*If you have to tell your 3 year old to watch her little brother and come tell you if he isn't nice, maybe you should stay in the play area and watch him yourself!!!

5 comments:

Rita said...

Oh..I am tired just reading of your lunch!!! Someday....you will sit at chic filet all by yourself and smile at those kids and Moms and think to yourself....grandchildren are wonderful!!!!!!LOL

Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh... what a lunch!
It could have been so nice!
I guess next time I would try the drive thru....
Does Outback deliver?
Gosh that would be nice!
If I was there I would bring you lunch.
T-4

thePiks said...

I so hope I never come across as complaining about my life with little kids. I know it goes so fast, and I don't want to wish it away. Believe me when I say I definitely get stressed, but I'm usually laughing about it soon after. I truly do realize how amazingly blessed I am.

Paul and Candice said...

What a Day! I know how you feel! I love hearing about your days...it makes me feel normal!

Rita said...

Amanda...
I rem'd today this little incident....I had house fever....wanted to go to my favorite place for fish and chips on Firday's....I think it was Jan or Feb after Brent was born....icy roads, windy...cold....but it sounded so good....well , I had a lunch time like yours....you wonder why in earth did I just not stay home??? It happens to all Mom's.. I know you aren't complaining...you are just saying like it is....hard somedays....I get it.....hang in there....Nana will be there soon!!!! And hopefully. you can have a break for Christmas...:)

Love you