Thursday, November 19, 2009

911. What's Your Emergency?

This is one crazy ride I'm on! Sometimes I think my kids are nuts, but I wouldn't have them any other way! And as that popular country song says: God is great and people are crazy (I omitted the beer is good part because I don't agree wholeheartedly with the song). Sunday was one of those days that starts off bad and just gets worse. I sat down to write about it, but it was too overwhelming. I had to take a few days and decompress. I'll just give you the highlights.

Brian had the worst stomach bug I've ever witnessed him have. He didn't even come out of the bedroom when the police showed up! Just wait, I'll get to that. We missed church since I figured we might all come down with what Brian had. (Praise the Lord we didn't!) Spence had been having some rough nights and I was sleeping with him until Allie would wake up and I had to feed her. We've got that all straightened out now. Brian has to check his room for bugs every night and Spence is fine. Simple solution! Sunday afternoon the kids and I were sitting on the couch watching a movie. Coleman was playing with the phone, but I was too exhausted to care. All of a sudden there was a banging at the door. Since I was feeding Allie I asked the boys to see who it was, but not to open the door. They said, "It's the police!" Turns out Coleman dialed 911. The police officer was really nice and talked to Coleman about why it was important not to dial 911 unless there was a real emergency. Coleman was terrified! I think we're safe from Spence calling for a while because he kept saying, "Don't dial 9911! It's not an emergency!" I was tempted to tell the policeman that someone had come in and ransacked the house, but figured that wasn't such a good idea.

Yesterday we were heading out to the park and saw this:

I figured the news was doing a story on the mayor, who lives across the street and one house over from us. When we came back home the vans were still there and a man was outside. I took the boys out to see a real live news van. The man was very nice and showed them his camera and some of the equipment. Then he told me they had interviewed the mayor because he was robbed at gunpoint in his driveway last night. Yikes! It doesn't seem that the thief knew he was robbing the mayor. He probably was waiting around for someone to come home. He pointed the gun at the mayor and took his money and cell phone. Then he made the mayor get under his car. Thankfully no one was hurt. And it actually provided a teachable moment for Coleman. We were able to say,"Now that's when you call 911. When a bad guy has a gun and robs you. If the police have to come to our house when you are playing with the phone and there's no emergency, then they won't be able to go help people who are really in trouble." Lesson learned, I hope!

And just because I think she's the most adorable 5 month old little girl, here's a new picture of Allie!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be sure and back up all these blogs in case something happens to your computer. Several years from now you won't be able to remember everything. You can never say your life is boring. Mom

Paul and Candice said...

WOW! You've had a time of it! Allie looks cute, though! That's pretty scary about the mayor. I thought that I'd commented on that on FB, but I guess it didn't get posted. Hope this weekend is better:)

Mrs. H said...

WOW! How crazy! Did they catch the robber?

And I have to agree, Miss Allie is a doll! I'd love to take pictures of her in those hats! YUM!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I read that the mayor had been robbed, but I didn't think it was the one that lived across the street from you. I'm glad it wasn't your or Brian coming home that they choose to target! And I can not get over how cute that hat is that Allie is wearing!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, you can never complain about life being dull at the Piks house. I remeber when Daniel A. called 911 and the police showed up at their house. He was about the same age as Coleman. Love hearing about your life. Allie is a doll! Leanne

Shandra said...

that is scary that y'all live by the mayor. that has been ALL over the news. y'all be careful!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I am not much on technology with the computer but here goes - I hope it reaches you -

I so enjoy reading your blog - Oh, how Allie is growing so fast along with the boys.

I love to read all the stories and the way you communicate them. You are a real writer!!!!!

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving - I am going to try and call mom today - missed her on Thanksgiving when she called.

Much love - Carolyn B.