Thursday, May 13, 2010

Remembering My Goals

Back in January I debated making New Year's resolutions. I decided to set some goals for myself and just not call them resolutions, fearing the same thing would happen that happens every year: February arrives and the resolutions are long forgotten! How am I doing with my goals, you ask? Here are the goals I set, followed by my progress, or lack thereof:

  • To have a closer relationship with Jesus - I set this as my top priority this year. Is it always my top priority? I'm afraid not. But I feel closer to Him than I have ever before. A few months ago I started noticing that Allie was waking up every morning at around 5:15 or 5:30. I would go feed her then go back to bed, usually staying there until the boys nagged me enough times for breakfast that I couldn't ignore them anymore without feeling like a completely horrible mother. After awhile, I figured maybe it would be a good idea to feed Allie, then stay up. I could do my Bible study, drink a cup of coffee and eat a healthy breakfast, then get in a workout before the boys were up. I decided that God was actually waking Allie up at that time so that I could get up and spend time with Him and have some time to myself before the demands of the day started. It has been awesome! And I've written many times about how God has spoken to me and the things He's taught me through Brian's job search. Again, awesome. This top goal of pursuing a closer relationship with Jesus is a daily commitment, and I pray that He will continually give me the desire to say yes to Him each and every day.
  • To be the best wife I can be - You'll have to ask Brian about this one! Actually, I think this again goes back to how God is working in our lives through Brian's job search. Brian and I have become so much closer. We pray together at night and talk about the things God is showing us. Several times we've felt silly about something we've been feeling, only to share it and find out the other one was feeling the same way! And just like living for Jesus, being a good wife can be a daily commitment also.
  • Develop friendships - I'm not the life of the party...yet. But I have started getting out there a little more. We get together with one of the boys' best friends and his mom at least once a week, so we are always caught up on each other's lives. And just recently some friends and I have revived our food journal blog and communicate daily on there. And believe me, you can only tell your true friends all the junk you eat in a day! Overall, let's just say I'm still working on this goal.
  • Get healthier - Drum roll please... I've lost 15 pounds since January!!! I get up and walk with my buddy Maestro (who slows me down miserably) and then do my workout DVD. I'm having so much fun! I even opened the box tucked away in the back of my closet labeled "skinny pants." That was fun! Together with my blogger buddies, I write down everything I eat (during the week) and get encouragement from them. I don't deprive myself when I want a coke or a Whataburger, I just don't give in to those cravings every day. Yeah, I'm a recovering coke-aholic.
  • Organize my house - For the past few months I've been trying to get rid of junk, but I haven't gotten as far as I would like to. The whole "are we moving or are we staying" thing has been a distraction. If we're going to move, I don't want to start getting everything nice and organized here (what a lame excuse, I know!) But I did have a garage sale several weeks ago, so that's at least one point for me! I'm hoping to kick this goal in gear really soon.
So there it is. I wanted to share these because actually, I would be failing miserably if I were attempting to accomplish these things on my own. I truly believe it is God who is working in me to shape me into the person He wants me to be. So I give Him all the glory and pray for His continued help where I miss the mark. I hope your resolutions or goals are going well!

4 comments:

Rita said...

You are way ahead of the game by just writing your "to-do" down....and 15 pounds....WOW~~~

Way to go Amanda!!!

Morning time is so quiet and peaceful...I am glad you are discovering it....:-)

OXOXOXO

Paul and Candice said...

You are awesome! I'm so happy for you that you've been able to do all of that in such a short time! The blog has really helped me in many ways as well. I love the daily communication with you and K! It makes it so much more fun! Have a great weekend!

Rhonda said...

I didn't make one resolution or goal.
Yours are fabulous!
Today my goal is to stay in the moment.
and possibly find a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie. ;)
Love ya Amanda!
We are so thankful for what God is doing in your lives!

thePiks said...

Thanks everyone! Yes Rita, morning is SO peaceful. Love it! And Candice, I love knowing you and K are right there with me and that we can encourage each other. Rhonda, that's an awesome goal. I need to remember that too.