Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

The three reasons I love being a mom

Six years ago I was sitting in church trying to hold back tears as all the mothers were recognized. My mom and mother-in-law were both there with us, but I felt an emptiness because I had wanted to be a mother for several years. Infertility was not an issue, but timing. Brian had been in graduate school and wanted to wait to have children until he finished school and had a job so that I could stay home. (He had just graduated and walked through the Sallyport at Rice University the previous day, even though he completed his thesis months before and had been doing a post-doc and was working for M.D. Anderson). I knew this was a wise decision, but my heart had a hard time understanding and waiting. I'm so thankful that he stood his ground on this decision and didn't give in to my desires, because not only was it Brian's timing, but it was God's timing also.

What I didn't know as I sat there crying and later explaining my tears to my mom and mother-in-law is that I was pregnant! My journey of motherhood was about to begin! And it has been, and continues to be, an amazing journey. God has blessed me with three wonderful children. Each day with them is another blessing, and I am so grateful. Even for the days that are crazy! Today started with the boys dancing around with underwear on their heads when they were supposed to be getting dressed for church, and culminated with Allie knocking over and breaking the floor lamp, leaving shattered glass all over the living room. It was still an amazing Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to Mom and Rita, two of the greatest moms I know. I love you both and am so thankful to have you in my life. You are always there to listen, give advice, say a prayer, share a laugh, and love a grandkid! My life is so rich with you both in it!

Happy Mother's Day to each of the moms reading this. We have one of the hardest, but most rewarding jobs. May we cherish every minute of it! Even if we're pulling underwear off heads or vacuuming up glass.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Ditto to you cuz you are one of the most amazing Mom's I know....and how blessed I am that you are my son's wife!!!!!

Precious photo....love Spence's smile!!

Anonymous said...

You are such a blessing! Mom