Friday, April 30, 2010

A Few Words

I'm bummed because I can't download any pictures from my camera! Either Allie's sucking on the cord or my not-s0-gentle handling of my camera has it not working correctly. Well, hopefully Brian can figure out what's wrong! Until then, no pictures. And I have some really cute ones to share!

I'll have to share something else though for now. This is a quote from my Bible study yesterday morning. I'm doing What Happens When Women Say Yes to God. It's about radical obedience, which has been wonderful during this season of life!

How easy it is to obey partially. Obeying just enough to give the right Christian appearance is not the obedience God desires. He looks past all the outside trappings and misguided intentions straight to the heart. He wants our full attention and absolute devotion.
Lysa TerKeurst

What a bold statement that I so desperately need to remember daily. There are some areas in which I have no trouble obeying. There are other areas that I struggle with and don't mind admitting that I struggle with them. Then there are areas that I would like people to think I obey God fully in, but in reality, I struggle with them too. Does that make any sense?

Recently God asked me to give up two things. They are both things that took my focus off of Him. The first thing is something that I love. But it is something tangible. Even though I want it badly, it's relatively easy to stay away from it because I said yes to God when He told me to give it up. The other thing is not something tangible. I guess you could say it has to do with my tongue. Even though I desire to give it up, I still struggle. I slip up and go back to old habits, but not always. A week or so ago, Brian told me about something that I perceived as a huge injustice. I wanted so badly to let everyone know about how unfair this situation was for Brian. But God reminded me that doing so would serve no purpose. I succeeded in being obedient in that one situation. Victory! And I know it was not on my own, because on my own I'd still be ranting about that situation and thinking about how wrong it was. It was all God. Isn't He awesome? Now if I could only be consistently obedient. That's a daily commitment.

And as we wait for the job God has for Brian, we grow more and more excited to see what His plans are! Brian had two wonderful interviews this week. One of these jobs could be it! Hopefully we'll know soon. And hopefully I can share some pictures soon. Until then, you get just words from me!

7 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Thanks for this reminder. I struggle too. I may need to write this on a sticky note and attach it several places in my house!

Jeani said...

God talks to me often through my dreams. In the last week I have had 2 dreams that I believe have the same message for me.
1. A baby was was gagging from having too much poop in its mouth.Gross. OK I get it.
2. Then a few night later I had a dilly, I was kissing someone ??? that had a dirty dish rag in their mouth and I didn't know it. Gross.
Clean up my act!!!

Unknown said...

Amanda....we all struggle....but with God's help and his grace..we strive to do better....it's a daily thing....for the little and big challenges ....but how wonderful to have faith, hope and love...and grace!!!

Rhonda said...

these words of yours are NOT JUST WORDS!!!
thanks for the encouragement Amanda even as you go through some difficulties!!!
Love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

I love Lysa! I heard her speak at the Feminar this year and was so blessed by her. Thanks for sharing!
Jaime

Jeani said...

After I took a nap today I was a little horrified that I posted my dreams on your nice blog. I am sorry, I can't figure how to take it off, so you sure can if you want to. I love you Amanda and family.

thePiks said...

Jeani,
Poop consumes a lot of my day, so I thought it was funny! I love you too!