Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Do You Know My Spence?

My Spencey is a very unique child. He marches to the beat of his own wacky drummer. And this makes him a joy to be around! You've seen pictures of him in his green boots, or how he likes to wear a batting helmet some days. These outward expressions of his personality are just a tiny part of who he is. If only I could get in his head and see the thoughts he has. It might go something like this:

Why does Mommy keep asking me where I am? Doesn't she know I'm busy and I don't want her to know my whereabouts? I should probably answer her since this is the third time she's asked. But if I say, "I'm in the kitchen!" she's going to come in here to see what I'm doing. Then she'll tell me to get down off the counter and stop unwrapping this package of Mentos. And I just got started! If I get down she'll notice that I peed my pants and I'll get this long, drawn out lecture about how I should know when I need to potty and I should make it to the toilet. Blah blah blah. She'll make me take off my wet pants and put them in the laundry room. I hate touching pee soaked pants! Disgusting! I'll have to go upstairs and get some dry underwear and shorts. That will take forever because I'll get distracted by like 1000 different things between here and there. There's that gate on the stairs that I'll have to stop and swing back and forth for a few minutes. Then I'll remember that I had my sunglasses, but now I can't find them. Man, I really need those. Oh, I can hear her calling me, and she sounds more aggravated than before. I guess this adventure is over. She's threatening time out now if I don't answer. Can't a guy get a minute of privacy around here? "I'm in the kitchen, Mommy!"
That sounds about right! But what do I know? I'm no three year old boy.

This afternoon Spence found a flashlight and was using it to look in my mouth. This is how the exam went:

Spence: Where are the bones?
Mommy: You can't see the bones because they're under the skin.
Spence: Where's the sugar?
Mommy: What?
Spence: When you live in Sugar Land, the sugar gets in your mouth. So where's the sugar?

Spence thinks the biggest number of all is one thousand. If something is really hard to do, he says, "That's really really a thousand hard!" Or if something is exciting, "It's a thousand a thousand!" The other day Brian had an extra computer keyboard out and Spence was looking at the keys. He asked, "Where's the thousand?"

So that's my Spence. Funny, unique, and dripping with pee most of the time. I couldn't love him more!

2 comments:

Rita said...

Yes...I do believe you do understand this very wonderful 3 year old....just wait till you see the T-shirt I sent....I hope it doesn't scar him for life....:-)

He is all boy!!! And I love him also...

Paul and Candice said...

You are such a good Mommy for Spencey boy, too! The stories about him always make me laugh...he's such a cutie pie!