Monday, December 06, 2010

Should I Even Admit This?

Right after Thanksgiving, I started thinking how we needed to go pick out our Christmas tree. You know, if we wait too long, why even bother? But we didn't go get it, and I didn't really mind. Then a few days ago I realized that I was already thinking about trying to keep Allie away from the tree, pine needles all over the house and having to vacuum those up, and then getting everything put back away after Christmas. It all put a sour look on my face. But how awful would it be to not put up a Christmas tree? Well, I'll let you know! We decided to skip the tree this year. I can't believe I'm even admitting that! I feel like a horrible Scrooge, but at the same time like a liberated soul! Brian and the boys put lights on a few bushes outside, so while the boxes were down from the attic, I went through all our decorations, threw out some things that were falling apart, and filled a give-away box of things I'm tired of or don't really like. With the money we saved by not buying a tree, I'm going to hit the after-Christmas clearance sales and get a few new decorations. I did put some snowmen around the house, set up our Nativity scene, and hung the stockings. The boys haven't even noticed that we don't have a tree yet!

Whew! It's good to get that off my chest. Maybe next year I'll want to go all out and decorate big time. Now we've got to get on the ball and get Christmas card pictures. That's just something I cannot skip!

1 comment:

Rita said...

IT's ok....someday you will have more time and energy and "little helpers" to really help....
P.S> we haven't put ours up either...maybe we will....or mabye we wont...

Yes. it's lovely when you put up the tree...decorate it so it's just lovely and put the pretty wrapped presents under it.....but,,,not when you have pre-schoolers and/or toddlers...:-)