Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Though the Earth Give Way...

I like to write about fun stuff and funny things the boys do. I definitely don't want anyone leaving my blog feeling depressed or worse than they felt when they got here. But I think sometimes when God shows you something, you should share it with others. I hope you have a blessed day!

Maybe you feel like I do, which is sad and pretty disgusted with myself. I'm sad because of all the suffering and loss in Myanmar and China. I'm disgusted with myself because I want to turn off the T.V. when I hear reports on it. All this is happening on the other side of the world to people that I don't know and can't really relate to. I guess that's why I don't want to think about it. Is there anything I can do? Last night, after the news report that I forced myself to sit and watch went off, I got up and started getting ready for bed. About 5 minutes after I heard a Chinese father crying that his son was dead, I looked in on Spence, sleeping so peacefully. Tragedies like this are beyond my understanding. The only thing I knew to do was pray and seek understanding in God's word. I wasn't sure what to turn to, so I decided the Psalms was a good place. Our Sunday School class is memorizing Psalm 46, so I turned there. It blew me away how relevant that scripture was to the tragedies on the other side of the world, and how it gave me hope in the midst of my sorrow.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

May God be glorified through these tragedies, however He sees fit. May we always lean on Him for everything.

3 comments:

Rita said...

Awesome writing, Amanda...I was telling Rhonda to read Phil. About to think of good things, evenin the midst of horrible things...Are you two sure you're not blood relatives???

Paul and Candice said...

You have always had such a way with words. God is so amazing how we can find answers by just opening His book! We studied that Psalm in Bible Study, and the verse "Be Still, and Know that I am God" speaks so loudly to me! Thank you for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your writings-they always make such good sense-thanks for sharing that with us-I know what you mean by not being able to do anything-thanks again-Mary