Friday, September 12, 2008

God Is On Our Side

I chose the title for this post because of the pen I was using to do my Bible study this morning. I didn't even realize what pen it was until I was almost done and just happened to look down and see what was written on it: Nationwide Is On Your Side. Nationwide is our insurance company and that's their slogan. Good to know they're on our side. They actually called yesterday with a message about reporting any damage. But how much greater to know that God is on our side. That's what today's post is about.

Before I let Coleman turn on the TV this morning we sat down to read from his little devotional book. I opened it to September 12, and the title was "Safe at Sea." The thought for the day was "I can trust God to take care of me, just like Paul did when he was at sea." We talked about the storm and how it might rain hard and the wind might blow hard, but we can trust God to take care of us. Then a little later I sat down to do my Bible study. Today's lesson was entitled "My Refuge." The author had me look up some of the most wonderful verses. Here are a few:

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth
give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Psalm 46:1-3

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy
on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.
Psalm 57:1

Then she asked the question: If you could take refuge in God in the middle of one situation right now, which would it be? At the end of the study she suggested memorizing Psalm 46:1 and repeating it often throughout the day: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Thankfully I have that one memorized! I believe I will be claiming it today!

What a mighty God we serve! That He would make a point to have me in this Bible study and make it so relevant for what is going on in my life today just amazes me. That He cares for my small children and wants to comfort them. His hand is on this storm. He can choose to calm it, or be with us as we endure it, just like any storm that life brings.

Thank you for your prayers. Remember, if we lose power I'll try to get a message to Theresa to post on her blog.

3 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Amanda,
You are in my prayers. Be safe! And how awesome is God to deliver those messages TODAY! He is good and in control!

Anonymous said...

He is MARVELOUS !
Beautiful,encouraging,supporting, loving,words from our Father
who cares for all his children!
We are watching & praying!
T-4

Jeani said...

LOVE AND PRAYING FOR YOU!!!!