Monday, September 08, 2008

These Little Boys of Mine

Coleman had his first visit to the dentist today! He told Brian tonight that the dentist was cool. That's good! He did really well. At first I didn't think he was going to open his mouth, but the hygienist was really good and finally got a smile then a wide-open mouth from him. He didn't even complain when she took the little pointy tool and scraped off plaque. No cavities! Spence enjoyed watching, so hopefully he'll be ready in a few years. Speaking of Spence, he's really turning into a little talker. He can tell me what he wants to eat, which is usually bowl chereal, daddy (cookie), or a mess bar (messy bar is what we call the Zone nutrition bars because they are covered with chocolate and make a big mess). I got a cute video of him today asking for mo mess bar. I'll see if Brian can get it posted for me soon.

Mommy and Spence singing the hits at bedtime!

Mommy: This little light of mine
Spence: Mine!
Mommy: I'm gonna let it shine
Spence: Shine!
Mommy: This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
Spence: Shine!
Mommy: Let it shine
Spence: Shine!
Mommy: Let it shine, let it shine.
Spence: Shine!

Another important fact about today. Coleman got in trouble at the dentist office (unrelated to being at the dentist and fully related to taking out his frustrations with Spence inappropriately). His punishment was no TV, DVDs, or videos today. I thought of the implications of this before I sentenced him, but I knew that would have the most impact on him, even if it made the day a little harder for me. It turned out fine. Coleman had another lack of self-control moment at home and was sent to his room. He hates this punishment. Today's lesson in my Wisdom for Mothers Bible study said that the first place I should look for answers to mothering dilemmas is in God's Word. Man, I was thinking of looking on Focus on the Family, then maybe asking the moms on my online mom's board. God's word has all the answers. I felt ashamed that I hadn't gone to His Word first. I remembered a passage in Ephesians about families and turned there. After the part about children obeying their parents, Ephesians 6:4 says

...bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

This simple verse spoke to me of the importance of me getting up and having my quiet time in the morning, then doing a devotional time with the boys. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

We ended the day on a high note. Brian promised Coleman if he was good for the dentist, they would play GoBots (1980s toys like Transformers ordered from Ebay) and make water balloons. They had so much fun. What a blessing to have a loving, fun Daddy! And what a blessing to have a loving Heavenly Father who cares about our every dilemma and has every answer we need.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Amen.