Thursday, September 11, 2008

Uh Oh

Well folks, it looks like we're about to get hit by a hurricane. We live far enough from the coast that we are not too concerned about flooding. We could have some wind damage and worst of all lose power. I had a doctor appointment this morning to have some bloodwork done (just to see if my thyroid medication is helping). As I pulled up to the office, men were boarding up the windows with plywood. Then inside, one of the doctors was taking all her diplomas and certificates off the walls and loading them into her car! I began to realize this might be a serious storm! After I left the doctor, I stopped by the grocery store to buy some extra water and a few snacks. (Brian will be eating freeze dried lasagna, but I'll be eating M&Ms and Oreos!) There were people waiting by the door for shopping carts. I decided I could stuff my snacks in my reusable Kroger bag and carry a case of water, case of Coke, and bag of ice. Sadly, not one single man offered to help me to my car as I walked out loaded down with all of that. I guess chivalry dies in the face of impending disaster.

I joke around because life would be a bore without a sense of humor, but in all seriousness, please keep the Texas coast in your prayers. There are mandatory evacuations for those who live on the coast, but our area has been told to "shelter in place." Please keep my parents in your prayers too. They live in Matagorda County probably about 20-30 miles inland from Matagorda Bay. Ike is projected to make landfall between Matagorda Bay and Galveston Bay. They boarded up their windows yesterday and plan to stay there if they can.

I also cannot let today pass without making mention of the date: September 11th. My prayers go out to all the people who lost someone on this day seven years ago. I am especially thinking of our military and their families today and thanking God for their sacrifices. And it also makes me remember to say a special prayer for our upcoming presidential election.

I know so many of you are keeping us in your prayers and will want to know that we're alright after the storm hits. If we do lose power I'll try to get a message out to my friend Theresa and see if she'll post on her family's blog for us. Click here to link to their blog. Thanks so much for all your prayers! Gotta go "hunker down!"

***Just overheard on the local news***

"Be sure to have a handheld can opener because if the power goes out, your electric can opener will not work." I hope they keep those life-saving tips coming all day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes this is a big one!
Coming your way!
You,your parents & all of the families in the are will be in our prayers. Thanks for letting us know on your blog how things are going! And for your friend's blog!
T-4

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all.

Rita said...

Yes, praying for all of your safety...Made the call when I got home to be put on our prayer chain...I love all of you!!!