Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Truth Comes Out

Everybody knows Coleman wants a sister. I just haven't been able to figure out why Coleman wants a sister. One of the ladies that was in Coleman's class during extended session today at church told me she discovered his motives. Apparently Coleman feels that if he has a sister, she will not want to play with his toys, so he won't have to share! I guess it's enough to have to share with Spence!

I faced a new discipline challenge today: how to dish out a punishment in the car. Spence was singing. Coleman wanted him to stop. Spence ignored him and kept singing. Coleman threw a happy meal toy at Spence, hitting him. What to do? At home Coleman would have gone to time out or been sent to his room. In the car, options are limited. Since we were going straight up to get ready for bed once we got home, I decided his punishment was to have one less book read to him at bedtime. This seems minor, but it's a pretty big deal to him. Spence came up with the rest of Coleman's punishment. Instead of Coleman having to listen to Spence softly sing a song, he got to listen to wailing cries for the rest of the car ride.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Oh my.....he does love his books and stories so I can completely understand that was cruel punishment for him....

So he thinks a little toddler girl will not want to touch his toys...He does have good reasoning skills for a 4 year old......

Jennifer said...

I can completely relate to Coleman. I can remember getting in trouble when I was little and my punishment was not being allowed to read that day. I loved books even back then!

Rita said...

I just remembered a few times I totally didn't read a book at bedtime for punishment....I think Brian thought surely he could run away and be treated better at some other house....I was up for the "Mommy Dearest" award....:-)

Jeani said...

Yes, he has great reasoning skills for a four year old, but he could get a sister like Rozalynn. She likes everything most boys do.
Callie refers to her as the outdoors type.