Monday, August 13, 2007

How Does a SAHM Stay Sane?

Those of you with children know that they grow up so fast. Time seems to fly. Before you know it, the sweet baby you once rocked to sleep is wanting to do everything all by himself, except clean up the hot wheels and balls he's strung out all over the house. Next he's off to kindergarten, and then he's leaving for college. OK, the point was not to make myself sad, so let me get back on track. Yes, overall, time does fly by, but the days can be REALLY LONG. (This verse popped into my head: ...a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.) I love that I get to stay at home with my babies, but that doesn't mean I want to STAY HOME every day. Since our church doesn't have Mother's Day Out in August (I don't know who decided moms don't need a day off in August) I don't get much of a break from the boys. So I look for ways to entertain them, get out of the house, and keep my sanity. Today we just happened upon storytime at Chic-Fil-A. The lady sang songs, then read a book about pirates and made all the kids pirate hats out of balloons. (At least that's what she said they were, I didn't see the resemblance.) Coleman and Spence loved it, and I welcomed the fact that someone else could entertain them for 15 minutes. So I guess I'll start thinking of other indoor activities (it's brutally hot here) to keep the boys, and myself, happy for the rest of August. I wonder if balloon lady makes house calls?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not bring the boys over for a sleep over and play time with us?????

(Wishful thinking)..
I do know how you feel....it certainly is a 24/7 day...Do small escapes during the day....look at a favorite magazine for a few minutes or read quickly while in the B/R!!!!!!
Love
Rita




\\\

Sherrie said...

It's hard to get mommy time. Most of the time I get mommy time when the kids go to bed or if I get up before them. But now the kids are getting older it's getting harder.Sometimes I ask Rick to keep an eye on them for 30 minutes and I go for a walk. But when the kids were Colem and Spence's age I would have mommy time when them took a nap. Nap time was wonderful :)