Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What's Hurry?

But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Hurry is definitely not in a toddler's vocabulary. Actually, I think when he hears that word, he assumes I mean "please piddle around, refuse to put on your shoes, try to grab as many cars as you can, run away from me, poop your pants, or whatever else you can think to do that could possibly make us late." I have to laugh as I write this. I don't want this precious time to pass by quickly. I love my little guys. This is a fun stage! Why do I rush? I think of how much fun we'll have "when they're old enough" to enjoy the Children's Museum, or if I dream really big, Disney World. I should just sit back and enjoy McDonald's and the neighborhood park right now.

I've realized that God uses my kids to teach me important lessons. You're all familiar with the "p" word, right? Patience is HARD! I don't want to wait on Coleman to finish his waffle he started eating 37 minutes ago! I don't want to wait any longer before Brian finds a new job! I don't want to wait 3 1/2 weeks before I see all of Brian's family at the wedding in Iowa. I don’t want to wait until my next grocery store run to have some more chocolate! OK, I went a little overboard with that last one. You get the picture though. God may be looking at me and thinking, “I don’t want to wait on her to help that person in need. I’m tired of her not being an encourager to her friends and family. I’ve about had it with her messing around and not doing what I ask.” I need to show mercy to those people and circumstances which test my patience, just as God shows mercy on me.

So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? Romans 2:3-4

Coleman & Spence await the Garbage Truck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Amanda.
Waiting is one of the hardest things to do.
Funny how it's an active thing...
Love this Psalm;
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.
My your strength be STRONG.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda! I'm Rhonda's step-sister, Jeani is my step-mom. I just wanted to say I really like your blogs! You have some cute boys :)

Sherrie said...

I know what you mean when you want to go, and the kids/hubby are not corraporating. I sometime think 'patience' what does that mean? Is it in my vocabulary? :) But now after having Roz, I now know that I am getting better at patience. I'm not always so high strung when it's time to go. I just start getting everyone ready eariler now :)