Saturday, September 26, 2009

Are You Ready for Some Futbol?

The answer to that question is "no." Coleman was not ready for soccer. He looked ready. See?


And I was all ready to be a "soccer mom." See?


And Brian helped him get ready as they practiced for a few minutes before the game. See?


But you will see no shots of him bending it like Beckham. This is as close to the action is he got. See?


As you may remember, Coleman doesn't always do well in new situations. Especially if there are a lot of people around. (I think back to last year's school Christmas play where he stood motionless as all the other kids sang their little hearts out.) This is fine. And if I may come to his defense, today was the first time he had seen any of these kids or coaches, and they only practiced for about 10 minutes. Then he was one of three kids who wasn't picked to start, so he stood on the side line while the other kids had about 15 minutes to get used to what was going on. He would not even go in, and right around halftime he even went as far as to take off his socks and shin guards and put his flip flops back on.

He wanted to leave, but we told him that we were staying to the end, whether he played or not. And that we would be going to every game until the season was over, whether he played or not. I sure hope he plays next week, because it's pretty hard to sit and watch 4 and 5 years olds that we do not know attempt to play a sport that we know little about. This could be a painful 6 weeks. But Coleman is taking his anxieties to Jesus. Brian told me that the last thing Coleman prayed for tonight was, "to help me get used to soccer." What a sweetheart! Hopefully we'll have better news next Saturday!

4 comments:

Rita said...

Oh my sweetheat. Coleman....i feel his pain....

Rem the hunt for Easter eggs...so I a not too surprised...

He will do fine,,,in his time...

You looked like a really cool soccer Mom anyway..."-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my precious, Coleman. What lessons you do teach me. You have a heart for Jesus that many of us "old Christians" need. I love you so. Nana

Jeani said...

Everyone of my granchildren that I can think of did the same thing.
Roz would just stand there and watch cars go by. Jared wanted to just come sit down whenever he felt like it.
We all are so unique. Love them all!

Jennifer said...

Aww poor Coleman. I feel his pain! I hated new things as a kid (still do a lot of times!)