Wednesday, September 23, 2009

These Boots Were Made for Kickin'

Most of you have seen pictures of Spence in his lime green Croc boots, right? If not, click here. And some of you know that I have to lock him in his room at nap time or he would just come out and never go to sleep. If he decides to really fight taking a nap, he usually bangs on the door. I go check on him to see if he needs to be changed (he loves to poop right after I put him down for a nap). Today he started banging and I went up. He did need to be changed, but I also noticed that he had on the boots. "Why do you have the boots on Spence?" I asked. "So my feet wouldn't hurt when I kicked the door," he replied. What a smart little mischievous booger. And then later he wanted something out of the fridge, which we keep locked so he can't get into it. He was pulling with all his might and said, "Come on fridge! I know you can do it!"

As we were leaving Bible study today, we had another good conversation.

Coleman: I see a hospital sign. (He's really into signs these days and always points out the square blue H sign for hospitals.)
Mommy: Yeah. That's where Allie was born.
Coleman: Why were me and Spence born at the hospital that's far away?
Mommy: It wasn't far away from where we lived when you were born there.
Spence: When are we going to be born again?
Coleman: You're only born once. Born means when you come out of Mommy's tummy.
Mommy: (knowing this will probably go over their heads, but feeling a teachable moment that shouldn't be passed over) There's actually a Bible story where Jesus tells the people they must be born again. And a man asks him how can he be born again.
Coleman: How can you be born again?
Mommy: That's just a way to say that you believe in Jesus, ask Him to forgive you for doing bad things, and want to live your life for Him.

The conversation continued for a minute, probably until they saw a cool truck or something. I am just in awe at the responsibility I have in raising these inquisitive kids! I really have to be ready with an answer. I know they won't understand it all now, but it's still important to try and answer their questions. I pray we'll all ask God for guidance in sharing His truths, whether to our kids or someone else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only hope Charity is half the parent you are. You are such a good example to young mothers. I never had your patience. I love you.

Pam

Paul and Candice said...

Oh, Spence...you are a funny one!

It's so true that in this season of our life, our ministry is at home teaching our children! You do an amazing job and like Pam said an awesome example!

Jennifer said...

It is so hard to answer questions like that and make it where their little brains can understand.

Rita said...

Oh ya...this was the really inspiring one....:-)