Sunday, December 06, 2009

Money Saving Tip

I really can't believe how awful I've been at doing something to celebrate Christmas with the kids each day. I thought since I put it in writing here that I would stick to it. I can't use the excuse that it doesn't feel like Christmas. We had snow! I'm not sure what my problem is. Not that this is a good excuse, but I feel so unorganized. The Christmas season comes along every year right after Thanksgiving, but for some reason I always let it sneak up on me! I finally put out some decorations last night, and we'll go get a tree some time this week. I found the Advent wreath, but I must have thrown out the candles (I'm sure they melted in the 120 degrees heat of the attic). I can only say that I will try to do better. I want this season to be a special one for my kids - more than presents and Santa. A time where they celebrate who Jesus is and what He means to us. I better get my act together, because they aren't going to get that from watching Rudolph and seeing all the toy commercials!

On to something else...
Since money is tight around here, I'm always looking for things to cut back on. Do you know how much kids' haircuts cost? It's ridiculous. I've cut Coleman's hair several times and given Spence a trim once or twice. Yesterday I gave them both haircuts. That's my money saving tip of the day: Cut your kids' hair yourself!

The part that I haven't quite mastered yet is the bangs. Actually, I'm not much worse than the professionals from the kids' haircut place whose name I won't mention. And I saved $30! I also cut Brian's hair. That leaves all the money in the haircut fund for me! Not to be selfish, but I just can't cut my own hair.

And what is just as cute as pretty bows on little girls? Tights! We bought Allie a pair of tights on clearance several months ago, and she wore them for the first time today.


Allie in her pink tights and monogrammed bloomers

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love the tights! And a little note for you since this is the first time with a girl: When you wash her tights make sure that m=any velcroed things are snapped together. Like if you have bibs in there with the tights, make sure the 2 sides of the velcro are fastened together, otherwise the velcro will snag on the tights and rip a hole. Just a little note from someone that learned her lesson!

Rita said...

Oh..those tights are just precious...and her smile!! I warms my heart....
The boys looks just too cute too with their new haircuts....you are good!!!
(I cut Gales' hair so we can save the money for Lucy)How's that for lovin' her....

Amanda...you have 3 kids and your routine is gone....so just do what you can...I am positive the love you feel for the true meaning of Christmas will filter thru to the boys!!!Unless you go out and buy them $1000.00 toys!!!) LOL

Anonymous said...

I love the tights and the bows, she is absolutely precious. I miss that! Enjoy dressing her up before she gets her own little opinion. :) You have a beautiful family, and I love the pajama picture!
Jaime

Paul and Candice said...

Cute, cute tights! Have you heard of Baby Legs? I have some for Judson, but I think that if I had a girl, I'd run out of money buying them. They're like the leg warmers of old, but they're SUPER cute! You can wear them in the winter with onesies to make diaper changes easier, under dresses (until they're like 5 or something---they stretch),for crawling, and tons of other things.
Might be a good Christmas gift for Allie!

The boys hair looks great! Do you use clippers or scissors? Paul Daivd's already freaking out at the thought of me taking him to get his hair cut this week...I'm sure I could do it, but I'm just not that brave yet. Those sharp scissors scare me! If I could do it with clippers, I might try if I could use the clippers.