Monday, June 30, 2008

A Lesson in Humility

Today I'm a little irritated with myself. This humanness can be quite annoying at times. I was sitting at the table just now doing my Bible study when I was told what my problem was. Maybe in the written words of Priscilla Shirer, but the revelation was given by Someone else. Humility. Do I honestly put others above myself? Sometimes. But that's not good enough. I was taking Coleman to school this morning, and although we left pretty much on time (right when it was time to go, my little champion pottier informed me he needed to go poo poo) we were 20 minutes late. Twenty minutes filled with people cutting across lanes and going straight from the left turn lane so they didn't have to wait in the line of cars that I was at the end of. Twenty minutes filled with stopped trains blocking the road where I needed to cross. Twenty minutes filled with finding an alternate route, only to find a police car and fire truck blocking the road because a car had wrecked and overturned. Twenty minutes filled with taking a second detour through a neighborhood that I wasn't too familiar with, only to end up about a block away from the wreck. We finally made it to school. Of course those extra twenty minutes were filled with "look at that jerk" and "who does he think he is" and "oh I know that train isn't stopped across the road" and luckily a "Lord please protect those people who just had a wreck." But that last statement doesn't make up for all those that proceeded it. And Coleman and Spence heard them all. My time and my life is no more important that anyone else's. If anything, I should be of the opinion that others are more important than myself and treat them as though they are just that. Isn't that how we all want to be treated? Humility. What a lesson. And of course the events of this morning aren't the only things going on in my life that tell me I need a lesson in humility. I only write this because maybe, just maybe, someone else is dealing with the same things today. You're not alone!

God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. 1 Peter 5:5

For kicks I just looked that verse up in The Message and the last part says, "Wise living gets rewarded with honor; stupid living gets the booby prize." Yikes! Not sure what that is, but I don't want the booby prize! Occasionally the person who does the scripture reading at church uses The Message. I'd love to hear this one from the pulpit! I think some of the sleepers might wake up!

3 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Thanks for that wonderful reminder. I am right there with you. It's a little embarrassing when you feel that tap on the shoulder.

Rita said...

Isn't it amazing that the lessons for the day we study seem to be just the right ones we need for that day??

If "jerk" was the only four letter word you used....LOL It could be much worse...My always was a version of poop!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and occ still is, sorry to say)

Anonymous said...

Been there. Imagine being a pastor and feeling that sometimes. The town I live near has 3 railroad tracks in the midst. Depending how the train traffic is then the whole town can be cut off. I have just learned to sit and crank the radio up. Well just remember we all are imperfect justified people striving to do better till we die.
Chris J