Monday, March 21, 2011

Cute Dress, Bad Attitude

We've been seeing so many lady bugs around, so when I was deciding what Allie would wear to church yesterday, I picked the lady bug dress that Rhonda bought Allie when we were in Wisconsin in January. It is adorable on her! Just look!


She's chewing up a mint in this picture. That's the only way I can get a pony tail in her hair!

Ready for church!

OK. That's it for the cuteness. Now on to something ugly. I decided that I was going to cut back on the packaged, processed foods that I buy. So I started looking into some healthier recipes for foods the kids like. I'm not talking tofu or things with pureed veggies. Things the kids will possibly eat, like muffin and granola bar recipes so I don't have to buy muffin mix and boxes of granola bars with all that added stuff. So I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip muffins last night. I thought they were pretty good, but when I tried to give Coleman one for breakfast this morning, he went berserko on me! My 6 year old son sounded like a 13 year old girl screaming about oatmeal in the muffins and how disgusting they were and how he would never eat it. This was before he even sniffed it! (Sorry, I'm a big food sniffer.) He eventually took a bite and said they were disgusting just like he predicted, but I'm not so sure. I think he just had to stick with his previous story to save face. Spence ate about half of one (he's notorious for eating the chocolate chips out of things) and Allie liked them! I forgot that when it comes to ingredients in recipes, it's OK to lie to your kids. That sounds so awful, but possibly if I would have omitted the word "oatmeal" when introducing the new muffin, the whole scene could have been avoided. Oh well. The next recipe is for a chewy granola bar! I'm sure Coleman will find something wrong with it! I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh the dress is cute on her!!!
Funny health food story!
Keep us posted as to continuing on with this......
;)
love you Amanda!

Anonymous said...

Yes Allie does look adorable!
Coleman...
Reminds me of that comerical where the sales lady is trying to tell the mother that there is a whole days serving of vegetables in each can... and the mom knocks over the display with the shopping cart.
You are right kids don't have to know all the ingredients... mom's have some secrets they just keep.
T-4

Rita said...

Allie looks just so sweet and adorable...I have seen the sundresses at Target and they are so cute...does she need any??

Poor Coleman....I have been in your shoes...this too shall pass...and one day he will b eating tofu in Europe...