Sunday, March 30, 2008

Why Are You Pulling Out Your Hair Mommy?

Coleman has officially entered the questioning phase. He's always been curious and has asked questions, but now it's that never ending string of questions. Here's an example from our ride home from church today.

Coleman: What's that balloon tied there for?
Me: Maybe it's somebody's birthday.
Coleman: Why is it their birthday?
Me: Because it's the day they were born.
Coleman: Why were they born?
Me: Hey, look at that big truck over there!!!

After the balloon line of questioning was over I started making up a song to distract him from asking more questions:

My two boys are ... sweet!
My two boys are ... silly!
My two boys are ... cute!
My two boys are ... (really long pause here because I was trying to think of something to rhyme with silly and I just couldn't) ... BOYS!!!

They both just laughed and laughed and Coleman said, "Sing it again!" So each time I would change up the last word of each line, except it always ended with "BOYS!!!" Every time I would finish we would laugh uncontrollably then Coleman would tell me to sing it again. This went on for about 10 minutes. Yes, I was no longer answering questions, but I was stuck in this never ending silly song. My plan had backfired.

I know this is a normal phase, but oh dear. I guess I really won't pull all my hair out. I mean, everybody else's kids do this too, and I don't see Mommies walking around with big bald patches on their heads. But why does he ask all these questions? How long will this last? What is he trying to do to me? When will it be enough? Will I survive? If only he knew I didn't have all the answers!

4 comments:

Pam said...

He could be all grown up and not need you anymore. Sounds like you're having a great time, though.
Lots of love,
Pam

Sherrie said...

Kids are masters at the art of questions. Just roll with the punches. Soon they will be older and not ask questions. Because they'll just think they know it all! Then you'll pull your hair because they didn't ask you first..lol

Rita said...

Just because.....ask Brian if he rem's that answer....LOL

They are curious....it will and shouldn't ever stop...but soon they can read and books will be his favorite thing to find answers with..In the meantime....Just cuz....

Theresa said...

Remember in college when I would ask you something and you would make up the answer but I believed you because you sounded so convincing. Yeah, just do that.