Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Name Is Gray With Yellow Polka Dots Shirt

As we were pulling into our parking space at the gym, Coleman noticed a woman and her little boy walking across the parking lot. He said, with a very determined voice, "I'm going to play with that white boy." I was a little surprised that he would be identifying someone by his race, so I asked him who he was going to play with. He replied, "That boy in the white shirt." Oh, that's better. The trend of identifying unknown kids by the color of their shirts continued this afternoon at the park. Coleman asked, "Where is Orange Boy?" This time I was not ignorant of his naming method and was able to reply, "He's over there." Probably looking for some more territory to mark. He had already pulled down his pants and peed on the area of the playground where we were. We're going to work on asking kids their names. We also had a little discussion about how it's a good thing not to go potty in your underwear, but at the same time, let Mommy know if we're out and you need to go. I'll find a spot for you to go, even if it's behind a bush. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little better than under the slide.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Well...well....Coleman is very observant....

As for taking a leak under the slide...ugh!! Where was his Mother??? Behind a bush is cool...boys like that...