Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Memories of a Previous Life



Tomorrow night our church is having a ladies' banquet and I am decorating one of the tables. Each table at the banquet is supposed to have a different theme. So a few weeks ago I went to Party City to scope out what kind of decorations were out there and decide on a theme. I ended up choosing a tropical theme because I thought I could have a lot of fun with it. Monday I realized that the banquet was coming up in just a few days, so I better get it together and buy my decorations! I loaded up the boys and a king-size bag of M&Ms to keep them in line while I was doing my shopping. Child-rearing is so simple if you use the "candy solves all problems" method. They were perfect little chocolate-covered angels while I chose and paid for my items! Many of you know that I enjoy floral arranging. I haven't done it in so long though! But I figured I could manage to put together a centerpiece of tropical flowers without too much trouble. Tropical flowers aren't too hard to find around here, if you know where to look. Luckily I used to work at Rice Epicurean (an upscale supermarket) in the floral department, and I remembered that they always had tropical flowers on hand. Rich folk must like keeping orchids and birds of paradise in their homes I guess. Anyway, upon arriving to the store, I was reminded of the time I spent working there and all the arrangements I made. It really took me back! The florist gave me advice on which flowers to buy to make a beautiful tropical arrangement. I couldn't remember if I had ever given advice to customers on similar issues or not. I'm sure I didn't know half as much as this lady did! I used branches from our Sago palm as filler. I think it turned out alright, and I hope it will look good with the rest of my decorations!

3 comments:

Rita said...

Oh...it's beautiful!! You are talented, my girl...just lovely...

When you worked there...it was before kids....and you were ....well.....not a Mom!!

Is your banquet a mother/daughter one?? We have ours next week...Want me accompany me?? Ok....I'll pick you up...love ya

Mrs. H said...

It's beatiful!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous arrangement!
Rice Epicurean is some place!
You must have enjoyed working there!
You got talent !
T-4