Wednesday, January 09, 2008

You're Going to Stick Him How Many Times???

Today Coleman and I went back to the allergist. Coleman had to have a skin test done. They poked my baby with 15 needles in his arm! It was horrible. They had him sit on my lap and I put my arm around him and "tried" to hold his arm still. One nurse stood in front of him and tried to keep his feet from kicking and keep him from looking at the needles. He screamed, cried, kicked, and begged for mercy. It was heartbreaking. I am reminded at times like this to be grateful that my children do not have major health problems where they are in the hospital and having lots of tests and being poked and prodded all the time.

The verdict: he is allergic to dust mites, mold, ragweed, and several trees and grasses. We will keep him on Singulair and look into ways to fight irritants in our home such as using special covers for his pillow and mattress and allergen air filters. If these measures don't work, he may have to start taking allergy shots. I pray that we don't have to do that! Just guessing, but I don't think he'd be too happy about having a shot every week.

He milked the hurt arm for all it was worth, getting cookies, McDonald's, and a trip to the mall to play. He tried to talk me into stopping for donuts, but I resisted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh the poor dear...and poor Mom...

Rita said...

I'm fighting the tears also....poor baby....

sheree said...

Sorry you and Coleman had to go through all that; I too am thankful for healthy children. I hope he has recovered.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that putting the stuffed animals in the dryer on low or no heat... regularly helps remove dust mites. Maybe that will help. they love their animals it is hard not to have them close by.
T-4