Thursday, January 31, 2008

Speaking the Truth

Warning for Nana and Grandma: Your oldest grandchild is not perfect!

Yes! Two posts in one day! Tonight Coleman wanted some chocolate but I told him no because he didn't eat all his dinner. He said, "I might ask Daddy." I told him not to because I already said no, but he ran into the other room and asked Brian anyway. I heard Brian say no, then a few seconds later Coleman ran back into the kitchen and said, "Daddy said yes!" I took him straight to time out and we had a talk about obeying and what it means to tell the truth. Later while saying prayers and talking at bedtime, the subject of forgiveness came up. I gave an example of forgetting to do something for Daddy but Daddy would forgive me because he loves me. Then I told him that when we make mistakes God will forgive us. He said, "I might ask God for some chocolate." If that works, I might ask for some chocolate, and some skinny thighs too!

I know Coleman doesn't grasp the concepts of grace and forgiveness, but he's at an age where he can start learning. I've really realized that today. My wonderful cousin Rhonda sent an email that linked to a Brandon Heath video of his song "I'm Not Who I Was." If you've never heard this song, it talks about how someone hurt him in the past, but now he's able to forgive. I had just watched the video this morning, then the song came on the radio when we were in the car. Coleman asked, as he sometimes does when a song comes on, "What's this song about?" I always think, "Oh, he's not going to understand," but I try to explain in the simplest terms what the songs are saying. That's been great for me! It makes me stop and really listen to the words. Sometimes all I can say is, "They're singing about Jesus." But today I got to try to explain how when someone hurts you, you should say "it's ok" and be nice to them. Oh how I pray that God will give me words to say that Coleman can understand, and that as he grows he will desire to live a life pleasing to the Lord. Actually, I pray that for all of us! Have a blessed evening.

3 comments:

Jeani said...

I Love You!!!

Rita said...

OH...my...what a dear....he is trying to figure out a way to get what he wants....and what a sweetie...he's quite clever ya know....Another reason that Mom and Dad need always to stick together...but it surely makes me smile...I rem those days...
Yes, I loved that song also..

Let me know if God answers Colemans request...:-)

Anonymous said...

today I got to try and explain a similar thing to Jared (16 yr
old) Allowing others to make mistakes and to love in spite of them...somehow I felt the words were more for me than him.
God is so clever that way.
:)