Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An Etiquette Lesson

I feel so blessed to be pregnant with my third child. I know there are many women out there who would love to be pregnant, so I hope that it never comes across that I am complaining about being pregnant. I've just heard so many comments (I'll call them "inappropriate") during this pregnancy, that I thought I could put a humorous spin on it and give some good advice to those of you wanting to bring a smile to a pregnant lady's face, but not knowing what to say. All of the comments below are ones, or are similar to ones, that I have heard in the last few months.

You've all heard, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Well, some people just throw that sage advice out the window when they encounter a pregnant woman. For some reason they feel the need to make some comment, any comment, and apparently put no thought whatsoever into how it's going to come across. I like to think that I have a pretty good sense of humor and can handle most of the things people throw out there. However, I fear that some of these hasty speakers will one day encounter Pregzilla. She's hormonal. She's exhausted. She's hot. She's carrying around an extra 30 pounds that's killing her back. She's looking for a bathroom. She's heard one too many comments about her belly or gotten that, "Oh honey, you're still pregnant?" look one time too many. She's going to blow. I feel like I have something to offer people. I'll call it...

A Lesson in Etiquette When Dealing with Pregnant Ladies

One should never say or do the following:
  • "Any day now?"
  • "You look like you're about to pop!"
  • "Wow? Did you swallow a watermelon?"
  • "It can't be comfortable walking around like that!"
  • "That can't get much bigger!"
  • "What are your plans this weekend? Going to the hospital?"
  • "You still haven't had that baby?"
  • "Are you sure you aren't having twins?"
  • "Do you ever get scared that there are two in there?"
  • Furrow your brow in disbelief upon hearing that the arrival of the baby is still a month away.
  • Give a googly eyed look at her belly.
Here is what I think you should say or do:
  • "You look beautiful!"
  • Feel free to bump the A/C down a few degrees
  • Give her the seat directly under the ceiling fan
  • Share your chocolate bar
  • Point her in the direction of the nearest restroom
I'm sure most people who make comments from the "no no" list don't mean to be rude. Nobody wants to make a pregnant chick cry. They just aren't thinking. And of course we all speak before thinking at times. Hopefully after hearing so many potentially insulting words I will think before I choose my words in whatever situation I find myself. And hopefully I've given you something to say or do when you see a mommy-to-be! And no worries, I'm laughing about all the comments I've heard. I haven't smacked a single person...yet.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Yet...but maybe....!!!

I think you should have your list published in Dear Abby...alot of people could hear your words of wisdom!!!

Anyway, dear. your look positively beautiful!!! And I have a bathroom on each floor if you were to come for supper tomorrow night....it's cool here....and I'll watch the boys so you can sleep in...

Alexander Family said...

You are beautiful!! I can't help but remember Brian telling Cody that she looked like she was about to pop at the beach house!! :) That was during our FIRST pregnancies...oh how time flies.

Paul and Candice said...

I think you look great, too! As Krystal likes to say, some people just have no filter when it comes to talking!

Jennifer said...

You poor thing! I think you do look beautiful!