Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Up On the Rooftop

I began this week with a good excuse for not blogging. The roofers were coming Monday morning to start our new roof. It was going to take them three days. I was planning how we would be out of the house for 3 days during all the daylight hours. Monday they didn't show up until after 11:00. They were finishing up a house down the street. We vacated the premises and headed for lunch, then to a friend's house so Spence could take a nap. The nap of course did not happen, but thanks so much Leanne for letting us crash there for the afternoon! When we got home it didn't look like they had gotten much done, but I'm no roofer. Maybe there's some invisible prep work that comes first. Today it rained some, so they didn't show up. And tomorrow there's a chance of rain also. Who knows when our roof will be finished! I'm trying not to worry about it though, especially since we're getting a new roof without paying for it. I don't think I've mentioned yet on the blog, but because of damage from Hurricane Ike, we got new siding, the house painted, and a new roof. I feel a little guilty since there were so many people who lost everything, and we seem to be making out great from this storm. I think I'll choose to feel blessed. We desperately needed a new roof, and desperately didn't want to spend money on it. And the new siding is awesome! I'll post a picture when it's all done.

Next week Coleman has his first Christmas program. He told Brian, "I hate those songs! I'm not going on that stage and you can't make me!" I can't wait to see how this ends up. I asked the music teacher today about how he was doing. She said he doesn't sing much, but he cooperates. Today was their first practice on the stage, and she told me he went on stage and stayed there the whole time. That's a good start. We'll just say a little prayer that he doesn't flip out the night of the program!

I realize I haven't really written much about the pregnancy since we announced it. I still have days where I feel yucky. Most days I'm really tired and my tummy feels unsettled. I have a baby bump, but it's leftover from being pregnant with Spence! Does that count? We go Friday for our second appointment. Another annoying symptom is that my sniffer works in overdrive! We walk outside and I smell cat urine in the bushes. Up until today when I did a thorough cleaning out, I had to hold my breath every time I opened the pantry door. I think I finally discovered the mysterious smell in the kitchen to be the sink. I googled "stinky sink" and came up with some solutions. Of course, the smell of vinegar wasn't much better. Sink irrigation may be a job for Brian.

And now, some pictures from the weekend:

Coleman and Spence at our church's Children's Christmas Breakfast

The picture you won't be seeing on our Christmas card (click for a better look at Coleman's face)

Another picture we won't be putting on a card (it's pretty cute though)


Coleman colored this in Sunday School this week. I told him how great I thought it was, then noticed the circle around the angel. I said, "Wow, did you draw that circle around the angel?" He said, "Yeah, and see those bars? She's in jail!" Oh dear.

4 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Cute stories! Let us know how the program goes!

Rita said...

Little boys love most things about Christmas,,,,but not,,,hear me...NOT the programs.....it's normal...for the Pikkula boys anyway...The more I used to try to talk them into having fun the most they resisted it....so I just left it to the music teacher...I thought it was a good plan...the pj pix are darling..hope you are having a good day...

Cute pictures....I do hope the house is done by Colemans' birthday...I can't wait to see it....
And all of you.....
Rhonda is blogging again...good for Christmas...ck it out...love you all!!!

Paul and Candice said...

Oh, I had hoped the roof was done. Sorry it's taking so long.

For what it's worth, all the little boys in Kindergarten would not practice either, and I would always worry. On the day of the show, though, they shined. Maybe Coleman will do that:)

The Pj pics are cute. I can't wait to see the card picture!

Anonymous said...

Seems like you are keeping busy, with all the roof renovations and children.

Hope everything with the home goes well and I'm sure once the roof is complete (even though it may have taken a little longer than expected) it will look great.

Good luck with everything.

-Tim