Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Great Conversationalists

I love the ride home after I pick the boys up from school. Most days I'm with them from the time they get out of bed until the time they go to sleep at night. No question about what happened on those days. I can listen as they recall their day to Daddy over dinner and let him know if what they say is true or false. But on school days there are some mysteries. I can't be sure of exactly what they did or what happened to them. On those days I enjoy asking them about the day and their activities. Who knows if I get the truth or not. Well, I guess it's their version of the truth. Spence's account of the day consists of, "Played." He can then answer yes or no to other simple questions. I remember when Coleman could first start carrying on a conversation with me and giving me details. I loved it! He's not stopped talking since! My Mom, who affectionately referred to me as "motormouth" when I was a child, has no sympathy in this department. We of course love our conversations with Mr. Motormouth. Today's was a little comical.

Mommy: Did you learn about planets and stars today?
Coleman: Nobody told me about planets. We just watched a video.
Mommy: You didn't color any pictures or do an art project?
(After digging around in his backpack while sitting at a red light I found a booklet he'd made about stars.)
Mommy: Oh, did you make this star book?
Coleman: Yes!
Spence: Spencey see it!
Coleman: No, you might tear it up.
Spence: No tear it up.
Mommy: Why don't you let Spence see it? He says he won't tear it up.
Coleman: He might change his mind.
Mommy: Well Spence, it seems you've torn one too many things up and Coleman doesn't trust you. Coleman, maybe he can look at it when we get home and you're there to make sure he doesn't tear it.
Coleman: No. I'm going to keep it with me at all times. And if I have to go somewhere I'm going to hide it. Then when I get back I'll race to the cabinet to get it.

He seems pretty protective of this book he made! Oh, by the way, when we got home he threw it down and went to play. I caught Spence trying to rip the star stickers off the cover.

I've decided these boys are too much fun. I'm a little scared of this baby being a girl! I know it sounds crazy, but boys are all I know. It's a good thing this baby's gender is not up to me, because I wouldn't know what to choose! Luckily God knows exactly who belongs in our family. I know I would love a little girl with all my heart. And I really think it would be an awesome experience for Brian. Daddy's little girl. Not that she would have him wrapped around her finger, but just experiencing that father-daughter relationship. But on the other hand, just imagine another little boy added to the mix! Then I still get to be the princess! I think that's why I'm so excited about not finding out the gender until the baby's born - because it doesn't matter! It will be a wonderful blessing either way.

3 comments:

Paul and Candice said...

I can't wait to see if you have a boy or a girl. I'm so glad that you're waiting to find out, too. It will be a blessing and so much fun either way!

I'm afraid that once all his words start coming together that Paul David's going to be a bit of a chatterbox, too!

Jeani said...

Yes it will. A baby is a gift from God.

Rita said...

Your words delight me so.....

Is this the same 4 year old that shared his BIRTHDAY presents moments after opening them with his little brother??? Spence will find his hiding places tho....so cute..