Thursday, January 01, 2009

When They Hand Out Awards for 2009...

...maybe the first day of the year will be long forgotten and Worst Mommy of the Year will not be awarded to me! Oh, Happy New Year everyone! We started out the year with a trip to the 24 Hour Emergency Room. For anyone who knows our two boys, you're probably guessing it was the older, adventurous (ok, wild) child that had to be taken. You would be incorrect. My sweet, younger, more cautious child had the honor of First Pikkula Boy to the ER. And it was all my fault!

We were at the mall tonight and I was trying to get Spence to keep up with us, so I picked him up by his hands and started swinging him from side to side. He immediately started crying, cried all the way home, and held ice on his wrist for 30 minutes as I held him on the couch. He asked for a bubble bath, so we thought if he got in the tub and forgot about his wrist, he was probably OK. He did not forget about it, and continued to keep his arm tucked in close and held his wrist. We figured they would do an X-ray, and I wouldn't be able to go into the room with him since I'm pregnant, so Brian took him to the ER clinic. They returned less than an hour later with a diagnosis of Nursemaid's elbow. You can click the link there, but it's basically a dislocation of the elbow joint. Brian said the doctor had to rotate Spence's arm to pop it back into place, and Spence flinched a little, but didn't even cry. The doctor said it's common for the child to hold his wrist because that helps isolate the elbow so it doesn't move.


If you are contacted by the Worst Mommy of the Year selection committee, tell them that I have learned my lesson and will not be swinging my children or grabbing them by the hands any more. I have 364 more days to prove that I am not the worst mommy in America! I have to go get busy baking cookies and planning fun excursions! Here's to no more ER visits in 2009!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no Amanda you are not the worst mommy of the year or any year!!!!!
you are a very very very good Mommy.
Hope all is well at your house today. :)

Rita said...

I still would handpick you for the Mother of my grandchildren if it was up to me...

Anonymous said...

You are actually about the third person I have heard of that this has happened to within the past few months. Two moms from my church have also had this happen, so take heart. You are NOT the worst mommy of the year.

Theresa

Paul and Candice said...

Like everyone else has said, you are NOT the worst mommy...you're the best for sure.

When we took Paul David in for his arm in May that was one of the things they asked me about because it is SOOOO common like Theresa said, so don't feel bad! It must happen a lot!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad! Whan Hanna was younger she had this happen several times! First time she fell off our bed. The second time, her dad was pulling out from under the coffee table. She was probably around 2 or 3 when this happened but has been ok since. We were just real careful for a year with her arms. No swinging on daddy like the others :(

Anonymous said...

If child protective services comes we would could take the boys in for awhile. We'll have to think about Maestro though. Just kidding.

I nominate you for "Mother of the Year" b/c as bad as you may felt you had a great sense of humor to write about it in your blog.

Anonymous said...

I think I did this to Caleb today; we haven't gone to doctor yet, hoping to wait until morning, but not sure we'll make it through the night. AHHHH
sheree