Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekly Meal Plan

I've seen several bloggers who like to post their weekly menus to give other moms ideas of what to have for dinner. I love seeing what everyone else is having for dinner and getting new recipes and ideas. I decided to try it this week! Most people start their menus on Monday, but that's just not convenient for me. The weekly grocery ads come in the mail Tuesday afternoon. Then I have all day Wednesday to look through them, see what coupons I have, and come up with a meal plan. The boys are in school Thursday, so that's a perfect day for me to go to the grocery stores! For the last few weeks I've been planning my menus from Thursday to Wednesday. We're also doing something new in our house: making the boys eat what we eat! Yes, it was my own fault that I was fixing 3 different dinners (mine and Brian's, Coleman's, and Spence's). I was letting the boys have peanut butter or cereal and causing myself an avoidable headache. I used Coleman's 4th birthday as a starting point for this new experiment. So far, to ease them into this transition, I've been making pretty kid-friendly meals. I do give them about 1 or 2 nights a week when they can have a frozen waffle, bowl of cereal, or peanut butter sandwich. That way I can make something more grown-up and not have a fight on my hands about eating. Coleman has been doing great! It's a major accomplishment to have him eating something as common as a burger or chicken that's not in the form of a nugget from McDonald's! I make him try one bite of the side dish and that's all he has to do. He usually spits it back out, but as long as he tries it I'm happy. Spence on the other hand is not doing so hot. He won't even try a simple thing like chicken cooked in the crock pot. (He will however eat a piece of uncooked linguine he finds on the floor of the pantry. I'm insulted.)

Here is this week's menu:

Thursday - Roast beef sandwiches, oven baked fries, oranges
Friday - Frozen pizza, garlic bread, salad, strawberries
Saturday - Hamburgers, baked potatoes, oranges
Sunday - Super bowl party
Monday - Italian pasta casserole, green beans, garlic bread, fruit
Tuesday - Lemon pepper chicken, broccoli and rice, fruit
Wednesday - Leftovers

I am so thankful to be over my nausea and able to plan meals and eat normal dinners! I hope I can keep this up and that the boys get used to eating more grown-up food!

5 comments:

Paul and Candice said...

That's awesome! I've been trying to write my main dish down every week so I'll know what to defrost! I'll look forward to seeing what you're having...I kind of miss seeing what you and Krystal are Having for Dinner! I had even thought about starting to post it over there, just so it would be written down somewhere!

Will you also include the recipes sometimes...like maybe for the Italian Pasta Casserole?

Mrs. H said...

WELL I WAS GOING TO SEE IF Y'ALL WANTed TO START BACK ON THE OTHER BLOG BUT SINCE Y'ALL ARE PREGO I GUESS YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU EAT! SO I'LL HAVE TO DO IT ALL BY MY LONESOME :( I like seeing your list! If I can get organized I will try too! Yes, recipes would be great!!! Thanks for sharing!

Rita said...

Organization does make life easier in the long run of the week...sounds like baby steps are being had with the boys....good job!!

Anonymous said...

I usually sit down and make out a monthly list, but the past few months I've not done this. Life is easier when I do. I make the kids eat what we eat, usually. Tonight we had Grilled bbq chicken, mashed potatoes, peas, and cheese bread. Caleb actually had to eat half of the pototoes and five peas, all of his chicken (b/c I know he likes it). Riley was supposed to do the same - she didn't. They sound like Coleman and Spence (Riley doesn't try things often, i think it is the age). Caleb got to eat popcorn after his bath; Riley didn't. It was so hard to enforce, but I feel like at 3 (she'll be 3 in two weeks) I need to follow through on rewards and consequences. She doesn't forget anymore. Yea for you; you aren't a short order cook - and they won't starve. I'll be interested in reading your plan, I'll maybe post some of mine soon. Yeah right. sheree

Jennifer said...

Yeah for another menu planner. The boys will catch on soon with the eating. I got lucky and EK eats most of the foods we eat.