Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Have a Laugh On Me

The other day I was doing my Bible study, Beth Moore's Esther, when I was tickled by one of her questions. She asked, "When was the last time humor helped you cope?" Are you kidding? That's one of my top coping mechanisms, coming in a close second behind prayer! You've met my kids (or you've got your own) and know that without a sense of humor, you won't make it through the day. So know that as I write about powdered sugar that is ingrained into my grout, or pooping escapades in the park, I'm usually laughing about it that moment. I'm not one of those that "will laugh about this one day." I try to laugh about it rather quickly.

So tonight I was getting dinner ready, trying to tune out the whining in the background, and anxiously awaiting Brian's arrival home (he's been out of town for a few days). Things weren't quite running smoothly, so I thought, "I should write a poem. A funny poem to help me laugh about this situation instead of scream at someone." I hope you won't mind me sharing it with you.

A Poem for Brian Upon Returning Home

Welcome home my dear, you've been gone for several days.
You'll find the house a mess, with an atmosphere of craze.

Dinner's not quite done, it's just burgers and some fries.
The boys protest this food, with loud and wailing cries.

Your underwear is dirty, the dog still really stinks.
That water on the kitchen floor is leaking from the sink!

Luckily Brian has a good sense of humor too! Especially since he may be playing plumber tonight instead of vegging on the couch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you my friend. Thanks for the encouragement. It has to be funny right - or we would go crazy. Sheree

Rita said...

Laughter is so good for the soul...what a gift to laugh at the moment....hope the leak is fixed and thanks for sharing him ...He was much appreciated!!!!!! By me too!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved your poem, patience with your day, and love of your husband!
Cherish the moments and thank God for the gift of love & understanding the live he has planned for you! We never know what tomorrow may bring.
T-4

Jeani said...

I call those sweet memories "my nursing home memories". When I want to smile I rem some of the laughable moments and they make me smile.
If I am having a not so good day I just recall some of these and have a good time all by myself.
You are so blessed to have this blog to rem them. Keep up the good job. It makes the distance between us not seem so far. xoxoxox

Jeani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Funny!
I agree laughter is the best way to cope.
But, there has been a time or two that I forgot...
And I realize that's really not so funny.
I'm so thankful for those people in my life that help me remember.
(your Mother in law is one of them)
:)
Have a good Sunday Pik family!