Sunday, March 08, 2009

Funny Weekend Situations

At the end of our church's basketball season, they have a banquet for the kids and their families and the coaches. Hot dogs are served and each coach gets up on stage and talks about his team and hands out medals. Friday night was the banquet, and the boys and I went with Coach Brian. The boys ate their hot dogs and cookies, then it was time for everyone to sit quietly and listen to the presentations. We had a hard time keeping the boys in their seats and quiet. When we got home, Coleman said, "I enjoyed the hot dog and cookies, but I wasn't too happy about having to sit still and be quiet."

Yesterday in the car we were talking about the baby, and Coleman reminded us that he wants a sister. Spence on the other hand wants a brother. This surprises me because he usually just copies whatever Coleman says! We were asking Coleman how he was going to feel if the baby is a boy. He said, "I'll be a little happy if it's a boy, but I'll be super happy if it's a girl!" I figure he'll be happy until she's about 2 and can start bossing him around!

Last night we got home late from a basketball game, so the boys were pretty out of it. Coleman has about 4 stuffed animals and his taggy blanket that he sleeps with, but they were nowhere to be found. Brian read to him while I searched the house. We found some substitute animals to fill in for the night, but he was pretty distraught. He said, "What if some bad guys broke into the house and stole my animals? What if I never see my animals again? But I love my animals!" It was pretty sad. Luckily, when I sat down at the computer, I saw that they were hiding under the desk. I brought them up to Coleman's room, and all was made right.

This afternoon we went to Houston Garden Center to buy some azaleas and mulch for the front bed. When we started in, we noticed a couple arguing with who we assumed was the manager. They were throwing squares of sod out of their trunk and yelling in the manager's face. She was giving it right back to them. This store is in a pretty nice area and the people didn't look dangerous, so we weren't scared, just wondering what was up with that grass. After we selected our plants and came back to the front to pay, we noticed two police cars and policemen taking statements from the couple and the manager. This is usually not the kind of "grass" that involves calling in the police. We never did figure out what the problem was, but it gave us a little entertainment while we shopped! And I'm feeling pretty good about living in an area where the police can be there in a matter of minutes to resolve a dispute over grass. A few years ago when we lived in Houston my car window was busted out and my purse stolen and the police never showed up!

1 comment:

Rita said...

Busy weekend...

Glad to know police or fireman or whoever is needed are close by and COME when called!!