Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Little Pik, Little Pik, Why Are You Sick?

Well, it looks like the boys are better now, but the last few days were a little rough. Of course it could have been worse, but luckily it wasn't. Spence's runny nose and cough started getting bad last Saturday. He developed a fever, so Brian stayed home with him Sunday. He was still running a fever and feeling sluggish on Monday so I went ahead and took him to the doctor. With the flu going around, and the possibility of an ear infection, I wanted to go ahead and take him. Luckily he did not have the flu or an ear infection, just a virus. We found this out after waiting for an hour with every other sick kid in our area. Spence of course befriended the kid with the worst hacking cough I'd ever heard.

Only a mother could love this face!

When we put the kids to bed Monday night, I was sure I would have to keep Spence out of Mother's Day Out the next day, so I had already contacted the school that I mentor at to let them know I wouldn't be there. I figured I could get away with taking Spence to my doctor's appointment though. Little did we know we'd be up several times in the night with Coleman. He woke me up a little after 11 because he puked in his bed. Then he woke up 2 or 3 more times with diarrhea. One of those times he did not make it to the toilet. Brian was so sweet to clean it up. I helped get Coleman back in bed.

He's smiling now, but none of us were Monday night!

Needless to say, both boys ended up staying home from Mother's Day Out. The little girl I mentor was out sick too, so that didn't end up being a problem. I called to reschedule my doctor's appointment. We stayed in and I washed tons of sheets, stuffed animals, and pajamas. I felt the need to wash the pajamas I was wearing and our sheets just in case they were contaminated! I bleached the boys' bathroom and sprayed Lysol on everything Coleman touched. There were no more incidents. I decided to skip our Sunday School Girl's Night Out so I wouldn't spread any unwanted germs to the other ladies, but as soon as Brian got home I was dressed and ready to get out of the house for a few hours. I made sure I didn't come home until I knew the boys would be in bed! Thank you so much Brian for letting me go free for a few hours. It was a life saver!

Just one of the many loads of laundry from Tuesday!

During the last few days, I've had to continually pray to not be selfish. It is so easy to feel upset that I'm having to change my plans and stay cooped up inside and clean up puke and poop. But that is all part of parenting. It's not about me. Hard to remember sometimes... Thank you for the reminder Lord! And thank you for bringing us through the last few days!

3 comments:

Paul and Candice said...

So glad they're feeling better! Can't wait to see you on Friday!

Rita said...

Oh, I don't know...surely a Nana and Grandma could love that face...hope all is on the mend!!!

Being couped up with sick kids is not fun....but at least is wasn't a holiday and vacation time!! They will come down with the chicken pox on the day you are packing for a trip...Murphy's law.....

Anonymous said...

You are a very busy mommy!
The boys and baby are so blessed to have you for their mother.
I can just hear Spence
at age 16+ saying MOM how could you post that picture of me?
Oh mom!
He looks like he feels so bad.
Little darling.
T-4