Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Much Needed Reminder

I feel like I've pretty much caught up on sleep and might be able to put a few words together and possibly have them make sense. Today Brian said to me, "Let's make a deal. No more emergency surgeries in the middle of the night. No sleep really messed me up. That was the hardest part." To which I replied, "That was the hardest part?" I think he still needs more sleep.

The first night home I slept with Coleman, then last night Brian slept with him. Hopefully tonight he'll feel OK to go back to his bed. Yesterday he started taking a few steps. I think he thought he would never walk again! Poor thing. We'll talk about doing something next week or in the future and he'll say, "But I can't walk!" We had to convince him that the doctor said he could try to walk now.

Our little guy recuperating

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about everything. Now it all seems so much smaller. Especially when I think about what other parents with really sick or terminally ill children go through. How can our situation compare to something like that? I know our situation was not small to us or to God, I'm not saying that, but it's easier to put it into perspective now. I can actually be thankful for everything that happened. It's hard to explain, but I feel like it was one of those things that is thrown at you and you have no other choice but to trust God and put it all in His hands. During that night I was truly reminded that I am not in control. That's a good thing to be reminded of every so often. Not that I want to go through anything like that again, but I am thankful for it. It drew me closer to my Savior and caused me to lean on Him. And really, that's a beautiful blessing and makes it all worthwhile.

5 comments:

Jeani said...

I have found from much life experience not to compare. Your crisis was a crisis. I am so glad God uses everyday life to draw us closer to Him. Give the kids a kiss from me.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to see him sleeping at home on the couch!
What an ordeal for all of you!
Hope you get enough sleep!
God is watching over us!
Thank you God!
T-4

Anonymous said...

I've been reminded by many different events over the past couple of months that I'm not in control either. Not even one bit. I hate it yet it continues to bring me closer to God as well. So why do I keep fighting it? I guess it's a Mom thing?

We are so glad he is feeling better and that all is well.
Our prayers are still with you all.

Rita said...

Well, I can't speak for you....but we sure felt like WE had been thru a true emergency all night...I know what you mean tho....we can plan all we want and guess what....God has a different plan!! There is this old saying...God doesn't give us more than we can handle.... better said is God gives us what we need to handle what comes our way....

Coleman looks so sweet on the couch...Hugs and Kisses !!

Imagine it will hurt a bit to walk for a while...then someday soon he will forget it for a bit and low and behold....he will seem back to himself and we shall thank God for his continued love for us...

Rita said...

Well, I can't speak for you....but we sure felt like WE had been thru a true emergency all night...I know what you mean tho....we can plan all we want and guess what....God has a different plan!! There is this old saying...God doesn't give us more than we can handle.... better said is God gives us what we need to handle what comes our way....

Coleman looks so sweet on the couch...Hugs and Kisses !!

Imagine it will hurt a bit to walk for a while...then someday soon he will forget it for a bit and low and behold....he will seem back to himself and we shall thank God for his continued love for us...