Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Valentine Gift

I'm sure many of you know how I feel about the commercialization of most of our holidays here in the U.S. Christmas is all about gifts, Easter is all about the basket, and Valentine's is all about the flowers and candy. I used to work in a flower shop and saw how they jacked up the price of roses come February, so I told Brian never to buy me roses at Valentine's Day. (I'd much rather have flowers some day in May when I'm not expecting them anyway. Are you reading this Brian?) Anyway, I am a girl and do like getting gifts, so a few weeks ago when Brian asked what I wanted for Valentine's Day, I thought about it for a while. I told him I'd like for him to finish the baseboard in our bedroom. There's no baseboard where he took out the sliding glass door and installed a window. A few days ago he asked again if that's what I wanted. I decided I should put some more thought into this. I mean it is Valentine's Day, and he did ask what I wanted. After some more deliberation, I decided the baseboard could wait. What I'd really been wanting was a new blog design! My friend Jennifer gave me the name of her girl, and I browsed her layouts today. I found one that I really like and that is not offensive to Brian (otherwise not too froo-froo), so all I need to do is get some good pictures of the boys to use and I'll be ready for my new design! I can't wait! It seems like I've been obsessing over this today, but really this blog is something I see every day and that family and friends visit to catch up on our happenings. I want it to be appealing. So it may be a while, but it's coming!

Completely changing the subject, but I realize I have neglected to post about some of our latest news. Back in December we noticed something that led us to believe Coleman might have a hernia. At his 4 year check-up, his doctor agreed with us, so he sent us to a pediatric surgeon. Last Friday I took Coleman for a consultation, and the doctor did confirm that Coleman has an inguinal hernia. It's something he was born with, but we've just now discovered. He's going to have surgery on February 23. The first two days that we talked to him about it, he would cry and say he didn't want to have surgery, but tonight we brought it up and he didn't cry. I think this will be a good opportunity to teach him about trusting God to take care of him. I really liked the surgeon, and know this is a relatively simple procedure. Of course when it's your child going under the knife you feel a little anxious. Please keep us in your prayers as we prepare Coleman for surgery and that we'll handle it well also.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it was really hard on me when my Cole had to have surgery. The hardest part was having them wheel him off. I wanted to be with my baby!

Will keep Coleman in my prayers! Will pray that it all goes well and he recovers fast!

Jennifer said...

Can't wait to see the new blog design. They are always so fun!!!
My nephew had that same procedure done over Christmas. He waddled for a few days because it hurt a little, but they gave him some good pain medicine for when he really needed it.

Rita said...

Ya all did good....and God just sped up the process...and it's over...Thank you dear Lord....

Jeani said...

We will be praying too.