Friday, December 21, 2007

One Year Ago Today

Last year on this day, my dad, 7 week old Spence, and I were sitting in a hospital waiting room as Brian underwent reconstructive knee surgery. He chose to have the surgery over Christmas so he wouldn't have to take extra time off of work and we would have lots of family here to help out with the boys. If not for looking at the pictures, poor Brian would have no recollection of last Christmas. When we put up our tree this year, Brian lamented that we had no tree last year. I told him we did have a tree, although it was quite small. Mom and I went to get it a few days before Christmas and had to get one that we could carry ourselves and load up in the back of my vehicle. Brian laughed when he looked at pictures and said, "I don't remember that at all!" He could only join us at the table for Christmas dinner for about 5 minutes since sitting in a chair was so painful. He was on a lot of pain medication. Thankfully, his mom was here to take care of him. I had my hands full with Spence! Last night we were discussing the events of a year ago, and Brian laughed that he couldn't remember anything about Christmas, but he remembered being in the hospital that first night after the surgery and waking up every hour or so and watching a Breaking Bonaduce marathon on VH1 (reality show about Danny Bonaduce). I think I'm a little offended that he remembers this, but not his loving family being there when he woke up. Oh well, there were lots of drugs involved.

Here is Brian a few days after the surgery. The couch was his home for about 2 1/2 weeks.

So last Christmas was a little rough, but we made it through. I think it helps us appreciate this Christmas even more. We are so blessed that Brian can walk and Spence can sleep through the night! There are so many other blessings that it would take me all night to list them. I pray that you feel God's blessings this Christmas, no matter what your circumstances are. As Christmas day draws nearer and nearer, I want to share this name of Jesus tonight:

Holy One

The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35

The birth of Jesus is such a miracle. No other birth in history compares. No other baby came with a mission such as His. No on else can be called Holy One. I praise God this Christmas because of His amazing gift. No other gift can compare!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omygoodness!
that looks beyond painful. Thankfully he doesn't remember much.

Rita said...

Happy knee surgery, Brian! WE waited on him hand and foot...I even stayed home from Christmas Eve service to stay with him....
Oh , I rem...part of my task was bringing pain pills in OFTEN!! It must be the meds!!

I just don't see how he could have had it without the extra help around...right??

Have a wonderful time with your folks and be anxiously waiting for your arrival...
Love all of you!!

Sherrie said...

Well at least it a new year. A new bring more exciting things. That does look painful. I wouldn't want to remember that either!