Thursday, December 06, 2007

Which Way to the Big Green Monkey?

We have two different routes that we can take to get from our house to church. We go on the freeway on Sundays, but on Wednesday mornings we take a less congested road. Yesterday morning we turned out of our neighborhood and onto the highway and Coleman starting talking about how we wouldn't see the big green monkey. After a moment of confusion, I realized he was saying that we were not going to see the big green monkey because we were going the other way. You're probably wondering what the big green monkey is, right? You know how car dealerships like to put large, outrageous inflatables on the tops of their buildings? A Kia dealership that we see on the freeway on the way to church has a humongous green gorilla sitting atop it. He loves to point it out. Even more so than the Santa on the Jeep dealership across the road. I wonder what made him think of that monkey?

I have a few pictures to share from this week.

Monday afternoon we went to the park. Spence had a great time playing in the sand.

I found a wooden nativity set for the boys to play with. I thought we might have fun acting out the Christmas story. So far, Coleman has had Baby Jesus crash into the star and has driven the angel around in the back of a Hummer. We'll work on it.

And now today's name of Jesus:

Way

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me..." John 14:6

There may be more than one way to get to church, but there's only one Way to God. I rejoice this season, as we celebrate God sending the Way to us as a baby born in Bethlehem.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your Coleman stories. I wait anxiously every day for you to post another one. There is nothing like the funny things kids do to make your day a little better.

Jeani said...

I rem years ago Rita told me that she knew it was time to take the manager scene down when she would find GI Joe's camping there. They were much older than your boys though. 6-10.
My manager story is about Keanul. When he was about 8 he helped me put it all out and I couldn't find baby Jesus. He had one of the wise men holding him. His arms were outstretched and there He was. Keanul said that he wanted to hold him. We know how much Keanul loves little babies and children. Sweet memories.

Rita said...

Sweet....Coleman has a good memory...that's nice for me to think so he rem's us!!

The way...yes, tonight at group I ask John if he would like to go to church on the 16th.(Christmas program)...and he said yes!!!!

Anonymous said...

I Love it!!! I'm sure Jesus doesn't mind riding in the back of a Hummer :) When my sisters and I were little we used to make our nativity scene out of our stuffed animals....I remember that the three wise men were carebears, Joseph was always my stuffed nutcracker and Jesus was also the naked baby that you could feed it a bottle and then it would pee....It was the best nativity scene ever!