Monday, December 10, 2007

Learning the Christmas Story Takes Time

This morning I decided to tell Coleman part of the Christmas story. I told him about how the angel came to visit Mary and told her she would have a baby and would name the baby Jesus. At lunch, I asked Coleman if he remembered the story I had told him this morning. He said they went into outer space. Then he told me about some bad guys who broke a glass. He asked, "Did you like my story Mommy?" I loved it! A few minutes later he did tell me that the angel said, "You're gonna have a baby. JESUS!!!" He sounded so excited when he said it! He may not have all the details in order, but he knows who it's about.

Yesterday in Sunday School we were talking about how our children are giving us a renewed love of Christmas. It is so exciting to see them enjoying this time of year. When I use simple phrases to explain how Jesus was born and how God loves us, it makes it new for me. Sometimes we forget to stop and listen to the story and enjoy all the details.

I chose today's name of Jesus because of Coleman's story of everyone at the stable that first Christmas going into outer space. If He wanted to, He could have because He's:

Mighty God

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

He is Mighty God. Better than any super hero we could conjure up. He reigns over Heaven and Earth. He created it all. What a Mighty God we serve!

2 comments:

Rita said...

You wrote a beautiful story...very nice..(you are quite creative)..and loved Coleman's story also....

Sherrie said...

Amen to that! What a beautiful blog.
Love ya